Thread: P180 and PSU

Poster
    edit:problem solved
    Last edited by browser; 10-12-2006 at 03:13 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by browser View Post
    The entire metal thing is connected to the case with some weird screws that basically just have a hole in the middle (is there a way to get these out, special screwdriver?).
    Those sound like rivets.
    The "special screwdriver" you need for those is called a "drill".
    It's possible they are Allen screws (I doubt it) and need an appropriately sized hex key to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by browser
    ...the fan seems to be connected to the metal thing just by being hooked on, but after applying a fair bit of pressure, it still doesn't move.
    If you remove the hard drive rack and that absurd PSU enclosure you should have an unobstructed shot at the fan from both sides and be able to see how it's mounted. It can't be too inscrutable, after all,some underpaid factory worker installed it without even thinking.

People on the internet seem to have managed to remove the fan but I just don't see how.[/QUOTE]
    Patience, young padawan.
    I've only worked on two of those cases and don't recall the center fan being that difficult to deal with.
    One assumes you've read the manual, of course.

Edit: I hate when this happens.
    Now I just look randomly pedantic instead of predictably so.
    Last edited by clocker; 10-12-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    lol - sorry about that....

i solved the problem by shoving the PSU in....so you still helped a lot....thanks

another question - my PSU has 2 case fan connectors but the case has 3 fans....what do I do?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I assume those two fan headers from the PSU are thermally regulated somehow.
    If so, how well they work will decide whether you use them at all...some of those solutions speed up/slowdown the attached fans based on a sensor inside the PSU which may not relate linearly with the temp in your case.

The easiest and most reliable option would involve running your fans from a Molex, undervolting (either 5v or 7v is possible) if desired.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg