Thread: ISP news server - Newbie question

cmm25
    Hi, I just started using usenet a couple of days ago. I am using NL and my isp's free newsgroup server. It has a 25 day retention with 2 connections, which is for for me since i really dont download that much anyways. My first question is is this really safe? can't my isp see what im downloading? could they get a suopenna (sp?) from the RIAA or MPAA and screw me over?

Secondly, I might be studying overseas for the next couple of months, can I still use my home isp newsgroups? or do they check that the ip is registered to them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Hi, Im not sure what the status is with wether you can be busted for using, but your 2nd question, usually you can only access your ISP's news servers from one of their own IP address range. There are some free ones, but are slow.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I dont think anyone has been busted for using Newsgroups. I would hazzard a guess that your ISP does keep logs but this is something you would need to check with them in their Terms of service. I would certainly not upload via ISP as you will normally find your IP address included in the post.

I dont think you will be able to connect to your ISP server when you leave the country.

You are lucky to have an ISP service if it is included in the cost of your connection. I noticed in the UK less are offering a binary service. Pipex still other it but it is at an extra cost and an expensive one IMHO.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I use comcast, they offer a news server. Sux though(only 2gb/month). I've had it since like feb/march. They sent me 2 emails saying I downloaded illegal files, they were movies I got from torrents. This was in Jul, I havent gotten another 1 since. If you want music I suggest a website. I cant remember the name, but its either albumshare or albumbase.

As far as connecting abroad, you should ask your ISP about that.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    cmm25
    Thanks for the replies, my isp (optimum online) is pretty good, I have two connections at 60kb/s each (120kb/s total) and unlimited downloading as far as I know, plus 25 day retention. I don't understand how they can say your downlaoding illegally when its from there server. Aren't they downloading illegally when they sync there usenet servers?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm25 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, my isp (optimum online) is pretty good, I have two connections at 60kb/s each (120kb/s total) and unlimited downloading as far as I know, plus 25 day retention. I don't understand how they can say your downlaoding illegally when its from there server. Aren't they downloading illegally when they sync there usenet servers?
    That's like saying Yahoo is doing something wrong because people can search for illegal stuff with it.

When it comes to Usenet, it is the safest method of downloading files from unknown parties.

There are two types of legal cases that can be brought against someone for sharing copywrited files, civil and criminal. The MPAA/RIAA excetra can only file civil lawsuits. To file such a lawsuit they have to have evidence that you violated their copyright. They get this proof by hiring people to monitor p2p networks by connecting to peers on the various networks and recording IP's that share this content.

They cannot do this on Usenet because their is no connecting to peers. You make a direct connection to a server-farm, not a person. There is no possible point of interception for them to monitor you.

On the other hand a government agency (FBI) could possibly catch you and file a criminal case against you. Since most Usenet providers hold no records on what you download getting a warrant for records would be useless to them. They would have to go to court and get permission to backdoor a server to see what you are doing. There would be one hell of a legal battle before they could do this and anyone with a Internet connection would know about the situation far in advance - so doing so would also be useless.

BTW, this has never and is very unlikely to ever happen. Believe it or not, the FBI believes that it has bigger problems on it's hands than a bunch of kids sharing songs over the computer.

You biggiest concern when downloading is the MPAA/RIAA and they have no method to launch an attack.
    Last edited by Broken; 10-15-2006 at 04:56 AM.