Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSOD problem.

Retired
    A friend of mine has a Compaq Presario R3200, he sometimes got a BSOD but when he restarted everything worked fine again. Today I got a BSOD on his laptop and it auto restarted but now I can't get in Windows anymore (also not in save mode). So I tried to reinstall windows but when I choose to reinstall windows after it's done loading all the drivers I got another BSOD, same when I choose to repair Windows.
    The error has something todo with ntfs.sys, it says that I need to run CHDSK /F but I CAN'T.

I googled the error and I think that the HD is broken. Any ideas on what I can try or do to fix this?

Ike
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 10-14-2006 at 07:13 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    do you have hiren's boot cd? if you do you can check the HD for errors with partition magic or any of the other tools on there.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Retired
    I do not have that cd. I'll check if I can download it somewhere. can partition magic fix the errors it finds?
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 10-14-2006 at 08:07 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Try.........................

1. press "R" for recovery console. it should give you the prompt.

2. Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.
    Restart

If it doesnt work,

3. do steps 1-3 but on step 4 type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.
    Restart

If it doesnt work,

4. Select Repair ® option. Go to the DOS prompt. Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.
    Restart
    Last edited by 100%; 10-15-2006 at 12:29 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    thnx 100%. I'll try that tomorrow

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Here's what I did on a Toshiba laptop to fix it. Even though you have a different brand & maybe a desktop should work if you have the recovery & applications/drivers dvd or restore disk & a full XP install disk (any version). Course you can substitute similar software & your brand recovery & applications/drivers dvd or restore disk.

Fixed it. Here's how.

!. Darik's Boot Nuke - nuked the HDD
    2. Acronis Disk Director Suite - formatted ntfs active partition
    3. Installed XP corp SP2
    4. TOSHIBA recovery & applications/drivers dvd

Back to original purchase state.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    do you have hiren's boot cd? if you do you can check the HD for errors with partition magic or any of the other tools on there.
    When I check the hd for errors with partition magic I get many errors. the first is Error 1516: "Partition improperly dismounted". I cannot fix any of the errors with partition magic because I cannot click the Fix button.

Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    Try.........................
    pressing 'R' when I see the Compaq logo doesn't do anything. When I press 'R' when the repair disc/winXP cd is loaded I get that BSOD again.

Found a guide on the website of HP which says that I can start PC recovery by pressing F10 but then I get the Bios menu.

Is there any other way to use the chkdsk option? (I do not have a diskette drive)
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 10-15-2006 at 12:32 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    can you get into dos somehow?

edit : sorry what i ment was get into command prompt.

maybe through bootdisk...but you dont have floppy.

then you could do chkdsk

or

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):

cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.6.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
    Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.7.Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.8.Restart the computer.
    Last edited by 100%; 10-15-2006 at 12:42 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Retired
    How can I get in dos? I know it's possible with a MS-DOS Startup Disk but I dont have a diskette drive.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    My way works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast