Thread: Windows: Delay Write Failed

limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash

Angry

Error: Windows: Delay Write Failed
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file k:\$Mft the data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure on your computer...

Well this is what i got, my files disappeared completly on external K:, all 465 gb.
    I haven't used HDD K: for last 2 days and besides that its the newest of my HDDs. I was only extracting rar files on my E:
    To my knowledge it sure is again this stupid Windows XP SP2, i think i will try to use Linux from now on.
    Now i want to know only WHY this happend ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Error: Windows: Delay Write Failed
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file k:\$Mft the data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure on your computer...

Well this is what i got, my files disappeared completly on external K:, all 465 gb.
    I haven't used HDD K: for last 2 days and besides that its the newest of my HDDs. I was only extracting rar files on my E:
    To my knowledge it sure is again this stupid Windows XP SP2, i think i will try to use Linux from now on.
    Now i want to know only WHY this happend ?
    Hi Limesqueezer,
    I had a similar problem about 6 months ago with a usb external 300gb-(not a sata drive).
    it seems that I was in a hurry and did not wait for windows message "safe to disconnect"....which gives system time to flush and reset..(everyone says you should not have a problem 1000 to 1 odds)
    of course with my luck..when I reconnected
    i got chkdsk screen....and lossed my data(mbr corrupted)....here is what some one did and was successful in retrived data...it did not work for me but it may for you.
    check disk - CNET Peripherals Forums
    let me know how you make out

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Well i have my data back in no time, but i just wondered why it happened, cause i haven't touched anything or disconnect anything, i had no buisness on K: HDD which failed completly.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Generally when this has happened it causes no real problem (I have 4 x USB drives of 2 x 80Gb, 1x 250Gb and a 500Gb) however if you disconnect while the computer is writing the MFT (Master File Table) then it is possible to trash the disc and suffer from much wailing and gnashing of teeth. This is usually caused when power (to a powered disc) fails during write operations. It is recoverable but not easy.

RTS 48