Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First experience with the IDF.

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    You went the distance with the sergeant, and you mom was watching too

That's pretty hard-core dude

Anyway, sounds like you had fun, which is the main thing.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    yeah man it was simply the most amazing thing i have been through in a very long time.. probably since my trip to the USA with my basketball team..

i mean seriously, we made better friends with kids we already knew.. learnt about the army..... it all seems like a dreak now...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Well.. here we go:

Got there first day (Monday), and were divided into 2 - boys and girls. Then, the boys were divided into 3 teams - 1, 2 and 3 - I was in 3.
    We then met our.. well, I guess sergeant for the week, and after the whole week went by I must say she was the best one we could have got.
    Anyhow, on the first day it wasn't too amazing - mainly lots of time tasks (go stand in a circle by the food room within 7 seconds.. GO GO GO!!), and quite a few kids didn't take it as seriouse as they needed, so were told to go for 10,20, or 30 push ups.. multiple times . We also had some weaponry lessons.

The second day was a little better, again lots of time tasks, still not everyone was willing to give the right ammount of attention, ut it was cool.. we went out to the open fields, built tents, and many other things outdoors which I can't remember right this second. In the evening we went out for a proper trek out in the woods and the open areas, about 4 KM, half way we opened the strecher and one of the kids lay on it and we took him the rest of the weay (he wasn't injured.. just for the practice of how to take a strecher).
    Got back, and were expecting a rough night in the tents, but the sleeping bags were not there for some technical reason, so lucky for us - we slept in the dorms again . We also had a weapon lesson on how to hold the M-16 properly in each position (standing, crouched, and lying down).

Day 3 - got up early as usual (around 5:30 AM), and again some time tasks here and there. We then carried on to do the obstacle course which wasn't too difficult, but apparently soldiers do this course with 14-30 KG of extra weight on them (weaponry, helmets, flakjackets..). After this we went and started to learn the marches for the end of day 4 - the last day, because we were doing a ceremony for finishing the wekk This was extremely annoying because our feet ached and in fact it was pretty boring too..... Went for the last weaponry lesson, and then to bed.

Day 4, the last day - woke up at 4:50 AM, and were outside by 5:20 AM... Quick time tasks, and then left the base for the shootout at around 6:30-7 AM. Got there, and were divided into groups of 15 (because 15 shoot at any one time). I was in the second 15, and I was landed with a shitty M-16: I did all the things needed to get te weapon ready, shot the first bullet, tried the second - didn't work. Got the captain to fix it, shot the second one. Treid the 3rd. diodn't work, she fixed it again. Shot the 3rd bullet, tried the 4th, didn't work. Then they changed my weapon, and I had 6 bullets left. By this time everyone was finished, and the next 15 were outside waiting, so I was shooting my last 6 bullets with everyone watching me.. was pretty cool, and the shootout was sooo amazing..

Got back, had a quick and crappy lunch (tinned army food, like day 2 in the feilds), and then carried on with the marches.. came the evening, mum came, as did most of the parents, and we did our ceremony, which I must say looked GREAT, finished it all, them we broke the distance with our sergeant - her name was Alina, and she was amazing.. really a cool and sweet 19 year old girl whi was here for only about a year in the army..

All in all, I must say it's one week I'll never forget because I actually learnt a hell of a lot about the army, got to know new people from my class and become frends, and learnt how to deal with rough conditions..

So that's that.. can't wait to go into the army for real
    Glad it was a positive experience, Rafi, though you might want to qualify that last sentence at least minimally lest you catch grief from other board-members who'll no doubt peg you a war-monger.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Wanting to kill people doesn't make you a war-monger.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Maybe, but I'm fed up with school..

And don't give me the "enjoy it while you can" because I know it already and am enjoying it as much as I can

Anyhoot, it was a great experience, and after seeing how the army can really make you new and better friends with people you already know, I think it's a great thing to put people a year to 2 years before the army through

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    by the way i was writing my response to j2k4 because i didn't see JP's post until after i pressed to reply button..

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    An inescapable point, well-presented.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I thought it only right to mention it.

We must be open to all sides of an argument.

I prefer to really listen to the pish people are talking prior to telling them that it's pish. Rather than just assuming it's going to be and not affording them the opportunity to surprise me.

Unfortunately said surprises are rare, however one lives in hope.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

I thought it only right to mention it.

We must be open to all sides of an argument.

I prefer to really listen to the pish people are talking prior to telling them that it's pish. Rather than just assuming it's going to be and not affording them the opportunity to surprise me.

Unfortunately said surprises are rare, however one lives in hope.
    One do, indeed.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12