Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can my ISP bust me?

asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    I don't think you should worry at all, download as mich as you want. If they cap you or what ever, then its time to get a new isp, cuase its not worth it.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    Quote Originally Posted by natedagw821 View Post
    Hm IC....well how about this then: Would it be better for me to switch to DSL? Im currently on cable(Wide Open West is my current provider). Do all ISPs monitor downloads?

Thanks again!
    ISP's don't monitor your downloads they monitor how much bandwidth you use a month, at least when it comes to Newsgroups. Since you've downloaded that much and you haven't got any type of warning your ok so far.

The most I have ever downloaded was 2 terabytes via FTP but that was a long time ago and I have since lost my access to such a wonderful thing. I didn't get any warning, letters, or phones calls so I know my ISP doesn't care as far as I know.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post
    I don't think you should worry at all, download as mich as you want. If they cap you or what ever, then its time to get a new isp, cuase its not worth it.
    AMEN brother!!!

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I think that you should not worry after all the most they can do is close your account. I would advise you to change ISP if they keep pestering you about these small issues.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    My max throughput was 200 GB in a month and I never heard a thing about it. My normal was about 60-80 GB.
    Although I did get warned once a couple of years ago, mostly they won't bother you if you keep it at a real figure for most of the time.

A little paranoid are we? What would life be like without your ISP? LOL
    It would suck at first but then you'd find another way to feed your "habit".

My advice is to get the best connection you can afford, get a quality premium NG server and try to only grab what you really NEED, not everything because it's there.
    How many times you have d/l something and soon realized you didn't need it?
    Just sharing

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    NZB Looter
    I once had my highest achievement hitting a whopping 4TB in one month. Till now they still regard me as their valued customer.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    ISP's are not legally allowed to view the data you are downloading, only how much and from where (IP address which would just be a NG server).

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    FriLock's Avatar Mr. Fantabulous
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post
    ISP's are not legally allowed to view the data you are downloading, only how much and from where (IP address which would just be a NG server).
    cheers to that!

Might be time to get a new ISP...they should not be hasselling you at all.

I use Newshostings unlimited NHXL plan and I down on average like 250-300GB/month

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post
    site your sources since im actually pretty interested if this is true or not.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    what the hell are you guys d\loading?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast