Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: If A Person Is Pro-Life.....

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    If you have "extenuating" circumstances to your pro-life beliefs besides saving the mother, you are full of shit.
    I sense here an opportunity to reiterate my first (indeed, my only) point: beat a dead horse.

You present a pretext with optional and circumstantial qualifiers.

You then state that the only legitimate case for abortion is to save the life of the mother, ignoring the fact your definition of what others deem an appropriately rigid pro-life stance would preclude even that, it being but another "extenuating" circumstance.

You've played "gotcha" with yourself, and you accomplished that goal with your starter post.

We've merely been attempting to save you a bit of embarrasment.

Perhaps you ought to give us your rationale for preferring to save the mother's life, and then demonstrate how you parse that seamlessly into your version of everybody else's flawed pro-life stance.
    Who are us and we? You are not plural. There is no calvary.

I'm not embarassed at all. Unlike yourself, I make sense.

1. The pro-life stance is that a baby is human being at the moment of conception.

2. Killing this human being and not protecting it due to an unwanted participant derails the stance (#1). Your contention is that it's ok to kill the baby if the mother doesn't want it.

I don't know how much simpler I can make it.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-26-2006 at 09:55 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    1. The pro-life stance is that a baby is human being at the moment of conception.

Wrong in my case, and in the majority of others as well.

2. Killing this human being and not protecting it due to an unwanted participant derails the stance (#1).

Wrong again.

Your contention is that it's ok to kill the baby if the mother doesn't want it.

I have never so contended, and my belief is diametrically opposed to the idea.

Where do you come up with this shit?

I don't know how much simpler I can make it.
    Simplicity is for you not a consideration, though I seriously doubt you could make it any more idiotic.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I think what's been lost in all the name calling here is the need for an explanation of the disconnect which allows exceptions in a moral issue.
    If we take the two extremes:

No termination once conception has taken place, even in cases of rape or the mothers health. This includes emergency contraception.

Termination allowed under any circumstance.

Both of these extremes are rare approaches to the issue so most people are somewhere in between.
    In this thread the answer needed is if one believes that abortion is murder then why do certain events like rape or incest deserve an uncomfortable pass? The resulting "life" would after all be just as innocent as any other.
    What is it about these "exceptions" that outweighs ones belief that abortion is murder so to speak.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I think what's been lost in all the name calling here is the need for an explanation of the disconnect which allows exceptions in a moral issue.

No termination once conception has taken place, even in cases of rape or the mothers health. This includes emergency contraception.

Both of these extremes are rare approaches to the issue so most people are somewhere in between.
    In this thread the answer needed is if one believes that abortion is murder then why do certain events like rape or incest deserve an uncomfortable pass? The resulting "life" would after all be just as innocent as any other.
    What is it about these "exceptions" that outweighs ones belief that abortion is murder so to speak.
    The argument simply seems to be only the reason for the abortion.

j2 looks at one being not the fault of the mother (rape) so she gets a pass versus...

the mother being irresponsible so doesn't get a pass.

It doesn't seem like there's a case for the child's right to life in the first case but it does in the second.

The moral judgement of the mother by others either dooms the child or saves it.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

Good post.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

Good post.
    Yeah.

I can't wait for Busyman to tell him how unresponsive he is.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    It's not a question I can answer as my view is that it's a personal thing. I would not personally choose abortion, but it is not my right to make that choice for others. I don't think it is governments place to make the choice. That said reasonable restrictions like late term limits would probably be acceptable to even the most pro choice person, provided there were exceptions for health of the mother.
    There are no black and white reasons why someone has an abortion and often the people that go through it are by default considered evil without the slightest knowledge of the reason they decided to terminate.
    Sometimes the choice to terminate is not really a choice.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    To me it's all fairly simply;

There are people who use the abortion options as a contraception option, which, I think is wrong.
    There are people who have terminations for various reasons; they don't know how to cope, fear, rape, incest, handicaps, life threatening situations, forced into it etc etc...
    And in those cases, they should be allowed to chose a termination.

However, who am I to judge other people's values?

I don't ever belief that there is anyone out there (except for the obvious psychopath here and there) that would do anything they consider 'bad' or 'evil' voluntarily.

I have some personal experience here as well.At the time I was forced to have a termination by my then boyfriend.

Do I regret it?
    Yes, I regret the fact that, in a way, I killed a part of me.
    On the other hand, I don't really.
    I had no means to raise a child on my own and would not have been able to build the life I have now and thus provide a much better, safer and healthier environment for the children I hope to have soon.

There is no black or white answer possible in cases like these because everyone has different moral values. I believe it is a very sensitive subject for some people and I don't think it is fair to pass judgement on anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

Good post.
    Yeah.

I can't wait for Busyman to tell him how unresponsive he is.
    Do you mean cos the question at the end of vid's post wasn't answered?

A person in Skweeky's situation would not have the choice of abortion but a rape victim would.

Is that right?

Not allowing abortions is to protect the unborn child, right?

Why does a rape case leave a child unprotected?
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-30-2006 at 02:23 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011