Thread: Any easy way to copy Express emails ?

As you know Outlook Express stores its messages (inwards and outwards emails) in *.dbx files.

These are stored way down in the depth of your machine.

Has anyone come up with an easy way of copying them to another folder or CD etc ?

Kind Regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    In Outlook Express you can go to the tools menu>options and click on the "maintenance" tab. From there you click on the "store" button and a window will pop up showing the location of your emails.

You can then navigate to that folder, copy the files, and do whatever you want with them.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks Harry,

Yes, but the default folder identities\FA98989-BC67676-ZD7676\ etc such as hard folder to navigate to.

Is it posible to change it to an easy folder eg C:\MyDocuments\My Emails (or similar)

Why is the default folder so obscurely named ? with all those numbers etc ?

Kind Regards

Digby

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I don't think you can change the default folder. I'm totally unsure of that but it won't hurt to try it. (you can always revert back to the original location)

Maybe the ability to even locate that folder is there for that reason?

Anyways, you can just right click the file name/location and copy it.

Than use Windows Explorer to navigate to it by right-clicking and pasting it into the address field. (note: the .dbx files are your emails)

I recently did this on a co-workers PC to save his emails when I upgraded his O/S.

Hope that helps.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks Harry for that.

Yes you wonder why Microsoft included that option to be able to change the email store folder. I am a bit reluctant to try to move it as the name is so hard with all those numbers. (why cant they just use My Emails ?)

Kind Regards

Digby