Thread: Mozilla Launches Firefox 2.0 Browser

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    The Mozilla Corporation on Monday posted to its download site the final release of Firefox 2.0, the second-generation release of the popular alternative Web browser. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

New features in Firefox 2.0 include enhancements in security, tabbed browsing, performance, and extensions. The browser update also includes a built-in spell checking and an anti-phishing feature, much like Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7, which launched last week.

JavaScript 1.7 and improved subscribing of RSS feeds are also among the additions. The update to Firefox's JavaScript interpreter is an important change, especially as more Web sites take advantage of the new benefits of Asynchronous JavaScript -- especially as they embed objects or functionality from Google and Microsoft Windows Live.

Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/Mozi...ser/1161617884
    Download Link: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...s/1032985422/1

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I waited all day for them to release this. YAY. It's finally here.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    I waited all day for them to release this. YAY. It's finally here.
    ? i don't understand how ppl couldn't get this. i've had 2.0 for like a week or something. not any of the rc's either. i'm talking about final. i also read ppl having trouble once they found out where to dl it from, but having trouble dl'ing it. meh, took me like 5 secs to dl. either way, 1.5.7 to 2.0 is a great accomplishment. not too much more in inovation, but security and little tid-bits make this browser even better than it was. thx.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    The 2.0 final was one the web servers a few days before the expect release date. This version is really nice, a lot better then IE7 thats for sure!

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I hate IE7. I hate that the tabs are so large. It takes up so much space and you can't move the toolbars. I thought they wanted to COMPETE with firefox. I guess they only wanted to add tabs instead of the ability to customize your browser to suit YOUR needs. meh.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    Some things are pretty cool like the built in spell checker and built in session restoration, but there are also some pretty annoying things, like when i'm browsing Youtube, if i open more than one or two videos in one window it slows the thing down loads and CPU load is above 90%. When i have several tabs open it also makes it slow, and when i scroll down it keeps stopping and going again

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ya its got its quirks that's for sure but it starting to grow on me . Seems to load slower tho if that's possible . I do like the Session Restore feature too and the built spell checker is a bonus .

The only extension that did n't work for me was Fasterfox , which is ironic .
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-28-2006 at 12:49 AM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    great broswer, new look and it has spell checker