Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just An Idea

Poster
    Originally posted by tianup@12 May 2003 - 21:01
    I'd be interested in trading some stuff - but most of my good books I reread at least once every one or two years.  It has occurred to me, however, that I have a number of books that I would be happy to get rid of in exchange for another good read.  I have a pretty large collection spanning pretty much every genre.  What kind of stuff are you interested in?
    That all depends on what kind of books you read. I've got over 120 (and a few more ordered from Amazon). Books i'm into:

Horror: I've a vast collection of Stephen King, James Herbert, Dean Kootz & Richard Layman.

Thriller/Crime: Martina Cole (my new favourite author - i'd recommend her to anyone), Faye Kellerman - i've only got two of her books so i've still got to make my mind up on her. Jeffrey Deaver, again a great author.

A lot of other books that I can't really remember at the mo, mainly modern day/general fiction/romance but i'm planning on sorting my books out this w/e so i'll let you know by then.

I'm into anything apart from sci-fi, although since everyone keeps raving about it i' probably give that a try.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Cool.

Most of the Horror I have I'd like to keep (btw - I consider horror a sub-category of sci-fi), but I've a number of King, Koontz, Barker and other misc. titles I'd be willing to trade.

I've also got quite a bit of thriller/crime stuff that I'll probably not read again (for obvious reasons).

I've also got a ton of other stuff - mainly historical fiction, classic lit., general fiction, philosophy, poetry, texts on astrology, vampires, mythology, holistic medicine, etc.

About a third of my collection (at least) is music. Books containing music of every type and genre, books on music, books on musicians, the history of different types of music, books on audio engineering and psycho acoustics etc.

I'm really into getting some Lumley stuff, which I heard about here. I love Neil Gaiman, Iain Banks, Anne Rice (though she's getting boring and predictable), and anything twisted and strange but well written. Actually, I'm probably into just about anything good.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Poster
    Yay!!! Glad to know theres another horror fan out there (even if he does classify it as sub sci-fi ).

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Y'know...the more I think about it, I guess you're right. Horror should be it's own category. It's just that some of my stuff could be considered both, so I guess the sub-category is less complicated for my brain. I think there's a sub-category there somewhere though, cause vampire and werewolf and monster books are easy to categorize as horror, but what about stuff like Neverwhere or Servant of the Bones?

5. Lounge   -   #35
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Horror is actually classified as a sub-category of Fantasy...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Then shouldn't sci-fi be a sub-category of fantasy as well?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234