Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden loss of speed

I started using this bittorrent lark again a week to 10 days ago, I downloaded ok, not brilliantly, usually 30 - 40 kb/s occasionally 100 and once 230 kb/s.

I downloaded a few files most I made available for upload for a short time afterwards. I've seen people talk about "my ratio" how does one check "my ratio"? (I use BC 0.60).

Now pretty much all of a sudden, one morning I found I got nothing in DL from any torrent. I tried opening a new torrent, but I got error messages, I decided to check what would happen if I deleted a file (task) (I had 14 at the time about 8 @ 100% 3 - 4 0% 1- 2 30% ) After I had deleted a torrent task I found I could open another new torrent....???? Is this right? Are you limited by drive space for the download folder? or is it a limit on the No. of tasks allowed at one time?

But with my new torrents even these would not download. I decided to delete the whole program and start afresh, this worked a little bit, I got some limited connections but now most connections are below 1kb/s. Is there anyway I can determine if this is packet wrapping by my ISP? I have encryption enabled. And would my ISP have switched on packet wrapping overnight on me like that?

The only time I get some good dl speed now is if I dl a top 100 file with loads of seeds, I did this earlier, most connections were about 1kb/s but one or 2 were 5kb and 11 kb, but I guess the sheer number of connections brought my speed up to 40 - 50 kb/s.

I think I'll have to give up this torrent lark it all seems a bit (no pun intended) crap if you ask me.

Update: I installed utorrent, the speeds are about 40 - 50 kb/s but as to whether enabling or disabling encryption makes any difference in utorrent, I don't think it does I still get 40 kb/s 45 kb/s with encrypt disabled. So maybe the problem with BC is either a glitch (but I reinstalled) or the banning of BC suddenly affected me after 2 weeks?

Update:!! Just tried BC on the file that was succesful in utorrent which had previously been unsuccessful in BC, and it was fine! got a down load of 41kb/s same as in utorrent, so I got no idea what's going on now.

update No3. Just tried obscure file that gets almost zero response in BC 0.60, I got a good download speed straight away of about 40 - 50 kb/s in utorrent.

I'm still not happy about my download speed overall especially when I have 2 files downloading, I get 50 - 60 on 1 file but when I start the other file, both files go at about 18 - 20 it just doesn't make sense. I need a fileshare which isn't dependant on upload speed and silly ratios. Time to try out lime and emule.

I'll also add that utorrent slows down my internet surfing just like BC does. This doesn't happen in kazaa k++!
    Last edited by wiggle; 10-27-2006 at 07:13 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    How about you try actually reading the words when an error messges comes up.
    Perhaps you could even say what the error message was when asking for help.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv View Post
    How about you try actually reading the words when an error messges comes up.
    Perhaps you could even say what the error message was when asking for help.
    Thanks for your "not so polite" reply.

Firstly the error message was not really relevant since the problem was solved by deleting a task and then submitting the new task, hence why I asked what was going on, as far as I could see it's either a drive space issue, or the number of tasks has a limit. I think even thought the file has not been dl'd yet the space on the drive is still allocated to it eg 600Mbytes of space is allocated to the task even though the task is at 0%, does this sound right to you?

Secondly the main crux of my question was about a sudden overnight loss of service, partially fixed by a reinstall, but still maddeningly slow.

But since you have expressed an interest in what the error message was...
    When opening the torrent file it read something like could not access file and all it's attributes, make sure path is correct...or something like that.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    (I need a fileshare which isn't dependant on upload speed and silly ratios)
    With a quote like this bittorrent is not for you because you have no intension of sharing

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    @wiggle -what was your question? i fell asleep reading your first post.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    aburyach's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Look like you better stick to the piss-poor download speeds of kazaa (thats still around!?!) and its grab bag of random corrupted files. There, sharing is not required. You will be happy there.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Damn i read it and i dont know what to say.....i would get rid of them all use something like azureas if possible or even bittornado!!!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    aburyach's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Of course, gamer4eva is right about kazaa and limewire- limewire is still OK to get the occasional song or two, but kazaa should be long dead...

Also, why come to a BITTORRENT forum and moan about your low speeds and then top it off with "kazaa is way better"?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by salmon View Post
    (I need a fileshare which isn't dependant on upload speed and silly ratios)
    With a quote like this bittorrent is not for you because you have no intension of sharing
    You're completely full of crap. All I'm saying is that if I have a capacity to download at 230 kB/s I should damned well be allowed to do it! If my upload is limited to 25KB/s THAT"S NOT MY FAULT and it should not restrict the dl speed I get, but it seems that it does restrict me.

And to the other user who said use kazaa get piss poor speeds,........when I use kazaa I get on average much better speeds than I do with bittorrent regularly over 100 kB/s (and with multiple files easily up to my maximum of 230 KB/s) whereas BTorrent gets me regularly 40 KB/s.
    Last edited by wiggle; 10-28-2006 at 09:10 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by aburyach View Post
    Of course, gamer4eva is right about kazaa and limewire- limewire is still OK to get the occasional song or two, but kazaa should be long dead...

Also, why come to a BITTORRENT forum and moan about your low speeds and then top it off with "kazaa is way better"?
    Because if I have a problem in BT I come to a BT forum dumbo! (I notice Mr cleverpants hasn't got a clue what explains what happens to me in BT all you can do is open your wise ass) I finished off like that because BT is crap compared to kazaa in terms of speed of dl and the way the protocols affect the running of my machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast