Thread: Remote Desktop Access

Hi

I wish to acccess my PC remotely. How can I achieve this?

I have no information regarding this, so would be grateful if u could guide me.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    start -> all programs -> accessories -> communications -> remote desktop connection

I've never had much luck with it over the net but it has worked across network for me a few times.

Another option you can use that's probably already on your computer is netmeeting. Go to start -> run -> type 'conf' -> hit OK.
    Once in it type the ip of computer you want to connect with (netmeeting has to be running on both), hit enter, click accept on the other computer, then at the bottom of the program is a button with sharing options where you can choose to share your desktop, allow control, and grant automatically.
    This program kind of needs you to have access to both or have someone else next to one to get started though.

Another program you can try is called VLC or vcl I think.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    There was a thread about this , someone suggested Logmein . Haven't tried it myself tho .

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Another program you can try is called VLC or vcl I think.
    I guess u mean VNC

Actually, I have used VNC. But I have a problem.

Using VNC, I connected to the server from a viewer that is running on the same network.

But I could not connect to the server from a viewer that was running on a separate network.

On the server, I type in 'ipconfig' to find the ip address, then use this address to connect to the server from the viewer.

Any advice? Thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    How would I connect from the Internet to a machine in the internal network which is behind a router?

You should enable "port forwarding" in your router's configuration. Port forwarding allows passing external connections to computers in the internal network. Almost all routers support this type of redirection.

For example, to access VNC or TightVNC server running on default ports, a router can be configured such way that TCP connections to ports 5900 and 5800 would be passed to the same ports of a particular machine with a specified private IP address (typically 192.168.x.x).

Here is an example of configuring port forwarding, assuming that TightVNC Server is running on default ports 5900 and 5800, on the machine with IP 192.168.1.100:
    Application | Start port | End port | Protocol | IP Address | Enable
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    TightVNC | 5900 | 5900 | TCP | 192.168.1.100 | yes
    TightVNC | 5800 | 5800 | TCP | 192.168.1.100 | yes
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

When port forwarding is set up, you can connect to the router's IP address such way as if it was your target machine's IP address, but you should specify those port numbers on which port forwarding was activated.

See also:
    www.portforward.com (help on setting up port forwarding on various routers and firewalls)
    do the above and also:
    ipconfig will only give you your local ip address. Go to www.whatsmyip.org to get your global ip address (your ip will be shown right at the top of the page)
    (I'm assuming you haven't set up any proxies for your web browser! otherwise that webpage won't work)
    Last edited by ilw; 10-30-2006 at 11:20 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    do the above and also:
    ipconfig will only give you your local ip address. Go to www.whatsmyip.org to get your global ip address (your ip will be shown right at the top of the page)
    (I'm assuming you haven't set up any proxies for your web browser! otherwise that webpage won't work)
    Thanks for this info. It does work.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    You can also Remote Administrator 2.2. It's nice and you can also use it for file transfer and command prompt on the remote pc. Of course you need a real IP address to connect to a remote PC. (visible from the internet).