Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saddam sentenced to death

relaxitsok's Avatar Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxitsok View Post
    Nope, no urge to poke. Not sure what something being a certain way for a length of time has to do with executing someone, however.
    Well, as Barbie points out, I believe the aim of this particular exercise is to give the Iraqi people a nice taste of self-determination, and the opportunity to lance the boil that is Saddam is at least mildly inviting.

Best to leave them to their own devices in this case; we can coach them on capital punishment down the line somewhere.

Or not, it should really be up to them, don't you think?
    It should absolutely be up to them, no question. However, if one considers the likelyhood that much of the violence in that country is fuelled by revenge, executing, while perhaps satisfying to many, in some ways legitimizes a revenge mentality, I believe.

Many would agree that Saddam's regime represented Sunnis (though many might also argue that Saddam himself wasn't actually Sunni, simply Ba'athist) and was terribly opressive to the Shia majority (and Kurds also, of course). Now we have mostly Shias in charge. That's not a bad thing. But I think executing Saddam may just be seen as retribution by one side and will simply add to the sad, sick cycle of violence in that country.

Let the government lead by example. Let him rot in jail.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxitsok View Post

Well, as Barbie points out, I believe the aim of this particular exercise is to give the Iraqi people a nice taste of self-determination, and the opportunity to lance the boil that is Saddam is at least mildly inviting.

Best to leave them to their own devices in this case; we can coach them on capital punishment down the line somewhere.

Or not, it should really be up to them, don't you think?
    It should absolutely be up to them, no question. However, if one considers the likelyhood that much of the violence in that country is fuelled by revenge, executing, while perhaps satisfying to many, in some ways legitimizes a revenge mentality, I believe.

Many would agree that Saddam's regime represented Sunnis (though many might also argue that Saddam himself wasn't actually Sunni, simply Ba'athist) and was terribly opressive to the Shia majority (and Kurds also, of course). Now we have mostly Shias in charge. That's not a bad thing. But I think executing Saddam may just be seen as retribution by one side and will simply add to the sad, sick cycle of violence in that country.

Let the government lead by example. Let him rot in jail.

And on the other hand, Saddam's execution might be viewed as a proper coda for that whole period of Iraqi history, not to mention the not-so-subliminal effect of purging a mistake that is arguably the fault of the U.S. ...good all around, when viewed that way.

As I said, they deserve a definitive expression of a self-determinative nature, and this might as well be it...again, we can work on the other later.

We've not even handed them the bat yet; it's a bit early to expect them to hit a home-run.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    We'll see what happens now; there are rumors of some ragged cheering across Iraq, but the Sunnis seem to be upset...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227574,00.html
    Do you know why the sunnis are upset?
    Yes.

I also know why certain Iraqis are emitting cheers.

I take it all in quite easily, you see.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I was wondering how the members who disagreed with capital punishment feel about Saddams sentence.
    Tony Blair has said he disagrees with the sentence.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I was wondering how the members who disagreed with capital punishment feel about Saddams sentence.
    Tony Blair has said he disagrees with the sentence.
    I saw a wee bit of that 'interview'. He got angry when pushed to answer if he thought Saddam should be executed. He said he would answer in 'his own way'. Whatever that means. It was only a news clip. I would like to see the full interview.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Perhaps he prefers J2's option where the Iraqi people give him a penis extension operation and make him "hung"

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Perhaps he prefers J2's option where the Iraqi people give him a penis extension operation and make him "hung"
    I don't get it.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    pictures are hung people are hanged. If people are hung it's slang for endowed.

Or have you broadened your definitions?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    pictures are hung people are hanged. If people are hung it's slang for endowed.

Or have you broadened your definitions?
    Obscure, but well-spotted nonetheless.

Your competence is at it's apex; please explain your outstanding interpersonal overstep, then.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    He isn't dead yet. So don't count your chickens before they hatch. There is an appeal process yet to go.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast