Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddam sentenced to death

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I was wondering how the members who disagreed with capital punishment feel about Saddams sentence.

Funny how Hirohito was allowed to live after WWII.

Just stirring it.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    That was all MacArthur's idea; he thought it would humanize Hirohito to the Japanese hoi polloi and make them more amenable to his plan.

I don't hold any brief for executing Saddam, but hey, give the Iraqis what they want, it's fine with me.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    It's strange that, following delay after interminable delay they suddenly come up with a verdict and judgement with hardly a pause for breath.

Anyone would think there was an election in the offing.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    I am against death penalty.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    If only we had some Iraqi opinions.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    That was all MacArthur's idea; he thought it would humanize Hirohito to the Japanese hoi polloi and make them more amenable to his plan.

I don't hold any brief for executing Saddam, but hey, give the Iraqis what they want, it's fine with me.
    The Japanese refused to surrender unless their Emperor was not put on trial.
    Nothing to do with McArthur, except ceding to their request. Do not argue J2, I dont want to start digging out my diaries.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Nothing to do with McArthur, except ceding to their request. Do not argue J2, I dont want to start digging out my diaries.
    No, upon further reflection, you are as correct as I am...as I recall, Eisenhower wanted to keel-haul Hirohito, but MacArthur decided to grant the Japanese wish to secure 1) their cooperation, and 2) to demystify Hirohito over time.

And, as you know, MacArthur loved to jab Ike.

Some "mortal" statements were elicited from Hirohito for public consumption subsequently, I believe...my memory is a tad hazy, as MacArthur was a terribly dense subject...he was so terribly self-absorbed, you know.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18

No, upon further reflection, you are as correct as I am...as I recall, Eisenhower wanted to keel-haul Hirohito, but MacArthur decided to grant the Japanese wish to secure 1) their cooperation, and 2) to demystify Hirohito over time.

And, as you know, MacArthur loved to jab Ike.

Some "mortal" statements were elicited from Hirohito for public consumption subsequently, I believe...my memory is a tad hazy, as MacArthur was a terribly dense subject...he was so terribly self-absorbed, you know.
    A wee bit off thread. I have seen Eisenhower twice. He was staying at Culzean Castle in Scotland. My elder brothers worked in the Culzean Estate and did the 'beating' for him when he was out shooting. We have a photo somewhere in the family with his autograph. I was at school at nearby Maybole and we were 'trooped' down to the local town hall to see him receive the Freedom Of The Town. He never mentioned to me that he knew you.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    It's strange that, following delay after interminable delay they suddenly come up with a verdict and judgement with hardly a pause for breath.

Anyone would think there was an election in the offing.
    As I said before, if the Repubs win then it's a fixed election.

It would basically tell the Republicans that they can do fuck all wrong and still stay in office.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    relaxitsok's Avatar Member
    Government sanctioned killing in order to emphasize that killing is wrong seems contradictory to me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast