Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saddam sentenced to death

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxitsok View Post
    Government sanctioned killing in order to emphasize that killing is wrong seems contradictory to me.
    Funny; it's always been that way, too.

Isn't that something.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

No, upon further reflection, you are as correct as I am...as I recall, Eisenhower wanted to keel-haul Hirohito, but MacArthur decided to grant the Japanese wish to secure 1) their cooperation, and 2) to demystify Hirohito over time.

And, as you know, MacArthur loved to jab Ike.

Some "mortal" statements were elicited from Hirohito for public consumption subsequently, I believe...my memory is a tad hazy, as MacArthur was a terribly dense subject...he was so terribly self-absorbed, you know.
    A wee bit off thread. I have seen Eisenhower twice. He was staying at Culzean Castle in Scotland. My elder brothers worked in the Culzean Estate and did the 'beating' for him when he was out shooting. We have a photo somewhere in the family with his autograph. I was at school at nearby Maybole and we were 'trooped' down to the local town hall to see him receive the Freedom Of The Town. He never mentioned to me that he knew you.
    Well done.

I am merely old enough to have seen him, had he seen fit to present himself properly, as all the others did.

As an American, I can only hope you don't think so ill of us as to toss out his picture in disgust.

A great General, a mediocre president; our Bill Clinton, but without the sex and sloppy security.

And without Hillary, too, though Mamie was a bit of a handful, or so I've heard.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    relaxitsok's Avatar Member
    Government sanctioned killing in order to emphasize that killing is wrong seems contradictory to me.

Isn't that something.

I must be thick, is that sarcasm?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24

Isn't that something.

I must be thick, is that sarcasm?
    As to your presenting thickness, I have no idea, as I am not at all familiar with you and have only your post to judge you by.

I will leave that to you for now, though if you stay and continue to post, I could work something up rather soonish, I expect.

It was indeed sarcasm, but of an intentionally mild variety.

I'm going to guess you will soon loathe me, for I am almost certainly of a differing stripe.

Sorry to be banging on, you must be itching to have a poke at me, I'm being so rude.

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    relaxitsok's Avatar Member
    Nope, no urge to poke. Not sure what something being a certain way for a length of time has to do with executing someone, however.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I was wondering how the members who disagreed with capital punishment feel about Saddams sentence.

Funny how Hirohito was allowed to live after WWII.

Just stirring it.
    I'm really quite surprised that our government, which is supposed to be anti-capital punishment, has welcomed the verdict

This stance is obviously designed to convince the Arab world that they are in charge of their own affairs. Whether it will work or not, who can say.

Quote Originally Posted by busyman
    I must agree. Of course there will be shouts that America set up a kangaroo
    court....which would be bullshit.
    Don't try and drag the Australians into this...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Nope, no urge to poke. Not sure what something being a certain way for a length of time has to do with executing someone, however.
    Well, as Barbie points out, I believe the aim of this particular exercise is to give the Iraqi people a nice taste of self-determination, and the opportunity to lance the boil that is Saddam is at least mildly inviting.

Best to leave them to their own devices in this case; we can coach them on capital punishment down the line somewhere.

Or not, it should really be up to them, don't you think?

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Well, as Barbie points out, I believe the aim of this particular exercise is to give the Iraqi people a nice taste of self-determination, and the opportunity to lance the boil that is Saddam is at least mildly inviting.

Best to leave them to their own devices in this case; we can coach them on capital punishment down the line somewhere.

Or not, it should really be up to them, don't you think?
    Definitely.

It's just strange to hear the UK government condoning a death sentence.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    If they begin now, there is just time to slip in a trial of Bush and Rumsfield, in Irak...before the next Presidential elections...

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    We'll see what happens now; there are rumors of some ragged cheering across Iraq, but the Sunnis seem to be upset...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227574,00.html
    Do you know why the sunnis are upset? I guess not so i'll explain. Basically there are many sects in Islam and Sunni and Shiites are the biggest sects. 90% of muslims are sunnis and like 9.1% are Shittes and there are 72 sects in all.

The story goes like this....when the prophet muhammad (pbuh) passed away some people said that only the prophets main family could become leader but some said that any pious muslim could become leader. This is where the big split occurs. Hey what can i say the religious studies lessons pay off. Although there is a bit more to the split but cannot be bothered going into detail but all i can say it is about their approach to the religion Islam. In a sense it is like how the catholics tend to be more strict in their approach to religion but the protestants are not. The protestants generally believe in the baptism and Eucharist ceremony i think...but to a Catholic all 7 sacrements are important!!

Edit:- Saddam claimed to be a sunni and killed many Shittes and thats why there are some that are happy and mainly Sunnis are not happy.
    Last edited by gamer4eva; 11-06-2006 at 04:56 PM.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast