Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geforce4 Mx440-se Help

Ex-member
    I have been building a computer recently in school and I have a problem with the nVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE (64MB, AGP 4x).

In Windows, I constantly get screen artifacts/corruption. When using DirectX applications, the computer hangs.

I know that the computer itself isn't the problem because it works fine with an old ATi Rage LT Pro (8MB, AGP 2x).

System specs:
    AMD Duron 1.1GHz
    ECS K7S5A motherboard with SiS 735 chipset
    128MB DDR266 RAM
    Creative SB 128PCI
    Windows XP Professional sp1
    DirectX 8.1 / 9.0
    Latest nVidia detonator driver
    Latest MBoard drivers

When Googling I have noticed that some people think it's a problem with icompatibilities between that card, AMD CPUs and DX8.1+... can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ex-member
    I gave the reciept to my teacher (it was bought with school money), whereupon he promptly lost it.

Can I return it straight to nVidia? I'm in the UK.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    cant but try. contact them via their website, on warranty issues. Maybe there is a serial number marking on it, and u can still get service, doesnt hurt to try.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Have you checked if there is an option in the BIOS for AGP driving force?

Who is the maker (brand) of that Geforce card?

I have seen this before (I think it was an Abit board and an Asus Geforce card). I needed to adjust it. In my case I had read the info on a chipset support web site. (don't remember where?)

I don't know if this will help you. Hope so. Good luck.

p.s. That system would work better with more RAM with XP.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ex-member
    Have you checked if there is an option in the BIOS for AGP driving force?
    Yes I have checked, no there isn't
    The BIOS on the K7S5A is pretty duff.

Who is the maker (brand) of that Geforce card?
    Mentor

p.s. That system would work better with more RAM with XP.
    I know... but there wasn't room in the budget

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    definately agreed on that ram...you should have at least 256ddr, or at least 512 no ddr ram for a xp machine... at a minumum...

buy urself a 512ddr stick, its pretty cheap as of late...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ex-member
    It's not my machine - it's a school machine.

I'd better explain:
    My head of year thought it would be a neat idea if I ran a PC-building tutorial for some fellow pupils. He allocated me a small budget for buying componenets and I bought the bits for a demo computer. I got an old crap video card so I could show poor gaming performance with that, then show the difference made by a better video card. The only problem is that the GeForce4 MX440 doesn't work right!

so that's why I'm not buying more RAM - I can't get any more school cash and I'm definitely not buying it myself.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ex-member
    hmm... looks like nVidia won't be any help - they don't support the products since they don't make them as such.

I'll have to get onto Mentor, the manufacturer. Only problem is I can't find their website!? Anyone have any ideas?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Just to make sure that your GeForce4 MX440-SE is working, or not, try installing it on another computer, one that is faster and better. That way, you can narrow the problem down to the card being good or bad.

Try it on Win98 and XP too. See if there is a difference. Also, I'm sure that you got the latest drivers and DirectX. I have the same GeForce4 MX440-SE card and found out that the newest driver for it (all-in-one driver) was just released a few weeks ago. It works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I use XP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast