Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Question!!

Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    so in the past four months I have had 2 ScT 1 pisexy 1 oink(which I got back) and a FSC account stolen. I know what your thinking! well you should not give other people your passwords or sign on to the sites with another computer. well I have not done any of those things nor would I. I first thought it was a virus so I scanned my computer with spy sweeper and both AVG antivirus and AVG anti-spy. I also use zonealarm firewall. after a full scan it came up with some keyloggers so I thought I solved the problem. well I was wrong the next month I could not log in to my FSC the account I got back was oink because the staff there beleved my story. no offence to the ScT staff but there about as helpful as a 5 dollar hooker
    and I slowly found out that each time I went to a staff member with this problem they could care less no matter the proof.
    so my queston how the fuck are these hacker getting in to my account and changing both the pass and the email. my computer is free of viruses and spyware( I scan everyweek and there updated. what am I doing wrong after my first account was stolen in the summer I learned the hard way that I need better passwords and trust me I change them once a mounth and they are long as hell!!
    another question has anone else had this problem?
    the only thing I can think of is that there is some malware or virus that will not be picked up by normal scanners. that or my wife is a secret account stealer

Thanks for listening

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Well a suggestion would be make your passwords different on each site and make your usernames different if you can.

Also: Make sure there are no keyloggers installed on your computer as these are the things that record keyboard movements apparently which is how someone got my MSN password when i logged into my acc on his computer. Obviously he told me and i changed the password.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    A virus in a "stealth" mode, may not be picked up by a normal anti-virus scan. The virus redirects the anti-virus scanner to the real MBR which will scan as normal even though it's in the wrong place. Most viruses will also pre-empt all DOS file calls coming in. In other words it "runs ahead, and disinfects the MBR or file before anti-virus software can scan the MBR or file, and when the MBR or file call is through, the virus then re-infects the MBR or file.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    syD's Avatar RETIRED
    yep, if you got the same username and pass on all sites, you got youre answer. someone got ahold of one of those usernames and the others were just a walk in the park.

also, if youre using firefox and you enable the save password option, all your passes are saved in one place and can be seen by everybody who is curious to look (tools-options-preferences-view saved passwords)

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ;o BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by syD
    also, if youre using firefox and you enable the save password option, all your passes are saved in one place and can be seen by everybody who is curious to look (tools-options-preferences-view saved passwords)
    this is what i was going to say you should look into

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by syD View Post
    saved in one place and can be seen by everybody who is curious to look (tools-options-preferences-view saved passwords)
    that's why you've got to set it up with a "master password" in the options, so they have to enter that one first

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    wow I never thought people could see my saved pass words? I'm not sure how that is possable but anything is possable i guess! thanks for all the help. I went to options and clicked save passwords to off. by the way it says save master password what does it mean by enter it in every session?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    safa's Avatar ® BT Rep: +1
    First of all i think you need to FORMAT, and re-install windows that way you know for sure you pc is CLEAN, then i recomend NOD32 antivirus its rated very high and i would also recomend Outpost firewall.

Passwords should be changed regularly and the Master password for firefox should be enabled and also changed regularly too.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    You don't say how your network is configged. Wired/wireless ?
    If the latter could be someone passively sniffing your traffic, if yuou don't have it locked down/encrypted.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Music Fascist BT Rep: +1
    tbh if it had happened that much id look into securing my wireless network and like safa says doin a fresh install of my os

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast