Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Used A Car Scanner?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I am tired of getting charged a over $100 for a diagnostic at these fucking dealerships so I bought an Auto X-Ray

I figure it would pay for itself with 1 or 2 uses.

I have an engine coil pack for each cylinder (8) and when one goes bad you can't tell without a code reader. The dealer charges each fucking time to check this.

I figure this'll work for future cars as well.

Has anyone else used one? Do you own one?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    No but it looks pretty cool.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    I am tired of getting charged a over $100 for a diagnostic at these fucking dealerships so I bought an Auto X-Ray

I have an engine coil pack for each cylinder (8) and when one goes bad you can't tell without a code reader. The dealer charges each fucking time to check this.

A code reader can be an advantage if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Generally speaking, you still need some documentation in order to make proper sense out of what the reader will tell you; for example, if it tells you
    the number one cylinder is misfiring, there are several possible causes for that event, ranging from a defective spark plug all the way upstream to the module and/or computer.

Deciphering which it is, is the problem-a cheap reader will tell you that your cylinder is misfiring, a better one will narrow the list of possible offending parts.

You can assume the documentation you received with the scanner will be a pale imitation of a real code book-if you're serious about this, you should get one of those, next, and you will probably also find you want a better code-reader, too.

Once you get all that together, you'll still have the problem of translating a part name to an actual part, and finding same, be it under-the-hood, or wherever else it might be.

Again, if you're serious, spend a couple of hundred on proper manuals and a good scanner, and see how good you are.

Those hundred-dollar-bills you've been dropping with your mechanic might begin to seem cheap, once you've bought several hundred in new parts you don't need; remember, for the most part, they cannot be returned for refund or credit.

On the other hand, you may turn out to be pretty good at diagnosis.

One never knows, do one?

I have one around here, somewhere, and I use it occasionally.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

A code reader can be an advantage if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Generally speaking, you still need some documentation in order to make proper sense out of what the reader will tell you; for example, if it tells you
    the number one cylinder is misfiring, there are several possible causes for that event, ranging from a defective spark plug all the way upstream to the module and/or computer.

Deciphering which it is, is the problem-a cheap reader will tell you that your cylinder is misfiring, a better one will narrow the list of possible offending parts.

You can assume the documentation you received with the scanner will be a pale imitation of a real code book-if you're serious about this, you should get one of those, next, and you will probably also find you want a better code-reader, too.

Once you get all that together, you'll still have the problem of translating a part name to an actual part, and finding same, be it under-the-hood, or wherever else it might be.

Again, if you're serious, spend a couple of hundred on proper manuals and a good scanner, and see how good you are.

Those hundred-dollar-bills you've been dropping with your mechanic might begin to seem cheap, once you've bought several hundred in new parts you don't need; remember, for the most part, they cannot be returned for refund or credit.

On the other hand, you may turn out to be pretty good at diagnosis.

One never knows, do one?

I have one around here, somewhere, and I use it occasionally.
    Yeah I've read what you just wrote, off many websites.

I got this scanner for $140 and wifey's pops works at a dealership.

For instance, he'll change my engine coil pack but he needs to know which one.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Then you've done very well, indeed.

That's good help.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Then you've done very well, indeed.

That's good help.
    Yeah thanks for the advice.

Right now I'm trying to find good prices on the internet for engine coil packs for the Lincoln LS V8. I have to make sure they are reputable.

Wifey's pop gets discounts on parts so that's always there but I've seen coil packs on the internet for half the cost. I might try one but I have to do more research.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #7
    can you stop calling him wifeys pops, he's your father in law ffs.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Awaits j2 to chime in.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Awaits j2 to chime in.
    I am not aware of any change in your marital status, though I cannot claim to have ever known what it was, given your penchant for "girl" talk.

If you are indeed married to the lady, you have a father-in-law.

I assumed your use of the appellation "wifey" to indicate you hadn't done the deed yet.

I would be extremely wary of any automotive electrical parts purchased over the 'net.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Awaits j2 to chime in.
    I am not aware of any change in your marital status, though I cannot claim to have ever known what it was, given your penchant for "girl" talk.

If you are indeed married to the lady, you have a father-in-law.

I assumed your use of the appellation "wifey" to indicate you hadn't done the deed yet.

I would be extremely wary of any automotive electrical parts purchased over the 'net.
    You are on the money and agreed (as I mentioned).

I don't know what you mean by girl talk though.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast