Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CD/DVDW Drive problem

Novice

Urgent

I just bought a new computer, about 2 weeks ago and I have a one CD/DVDW drive by Samsung model #TS-H652D and when I put a audio cd, it plays all the songs choppy, like a lot of memory is being utilized. This wont happen if I copy the songs to the hard drive and play them from there. That works fine, but from the drive its having problems. So what do you think? Drivers? Bad cd/dvd drive? Not enough memory (mine is 512K)? Please help.
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well, is a lot of memory being used during playback?

Just on the face of it, t'would see to me that a drive having physical problems would have an equally hard time transferring data to a drive as outputting to an audio codec...yours seems to do one but not the other.

Maybe try updating/reinstalling the sound drivers and/or checking the cabling.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Novice
    well i find that it does it to everything now, like installing a game, opening a data cd and playing clips and music from that data cd, and playing just a regular retail cd. It might be the drivers. I think the cables are ok though.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Chances are, the cables are fine but the drive itself is not.
    Swap it out for your trusty spare optical drive (you have a trusty spare optical drive, right?) and see what happens.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Is burning a cd ok?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    if you just bought this computer it should be under warranty. You should contact the dealer/manufacturer and see if a replacement is necessary.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Novice
    Yes clocker I do have a trusty spare, how did you know? lol, I was thinking about doing that so Ill give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up backlash, Ill check and see if thats available as well.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Novice
    I just uninstalled NERO 7 ultra edition and now the songs are playing fine but its video that seems to have problems. Especially when I put in a DVD movie. Its hella choppy, please help with this.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Novice
    These are my CD/DVD drives? Anything suspicious?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Cdr4_xp.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Cdralw2k.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\imapi.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PxHelp20.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\redbook.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    just google for the files for info. I googled for pxhelp20 coz I found that one suspcious. Others I did not check. Read info about it here

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...elp20.sys.html

try to disable some startup proggies to see if one of them is causing your problem . You can also disable pxhelp20.sys using the handy program called autoruns.

you can download this powerfull proggie here

http://www.sysinternals.com/files/autoruns.zip

Instructions - Unzip and launch Autoruns.exe, wait until it says "Ready" in the bottom left corner, then select the "Logon" tab. Next select "Options", check "Hide Microsoft Entries" and press the refresh button or press the "F5" key. The remaining items are third party applications. Uncheck all that are not needed, this will disable them from loading at Windows startup. AntiVirus and Firewall applications are necessary applications that should be running on startup. If you are unsure of what something is, highlight it, select "Entry" then "Google" to launch a search for more information regarding the highlighted application. You can permanently remove items by deleting them. Do not "Delete" anything unless you are 100% positive you do not need it. Disabled (Unchecked) items can be activated again by rerunning Autoruns, checking the item and restarting Windows.

Notes - You can control the startup applications for separate user accounts by selecting "User" and the account you want to edit. This is a much more powerful tool then the built-in System Configuration Utility (msconfig).

end quote
    Last edited by david02; 11-26-2006 at 05:28 PM.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast