Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Progress Toward Bittorrent's Holy Grail?

Hishighness420's Avatar 1337 h4x0r
    Hey Everyone, I’m Hishighness420 a.k.a. Lucas. This is my first post so I hope you’ll all go easy on me.

I’ve searched high and low on Google, but haven’t been able to find an up to date report on the progress that is being made towards making mainstream bittorrent anonymous and decentralized. (i.e. no need for web pages to find torrents) I want to make one thing crystal clear, because I’ve had a problem asking this question on another site where people just can’t seem to understand I’m talking about the FUTURE and not the present. I know about Azureus and Tor, and proxies are obviously not a great solution. But what I mean when I say mainstream is end users just being able to download a client, fire it up, and away they go, anonymously and being able to search for, find, and download torrents right from the program a la Napster, but without the obvious drawback of a centralized site that can be shut down by the Copyright cops. And, if anyone tried to track the people using the system they wouldn’t be able to get their IP or any other identifiable info.

Sorry I dumbed it down so much, but as I said I’ve ran in to problems with people misunderstanding my meaning.

So, I’m just wondering what progress is being made in this area, if it's being worked on etc.

HH420.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    pECi's Avatar ZOMG!! Torrent PLSSS BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    i like this system with websites more...it would be dull to be like dc, kazaaa, napster etc

...and without a ratio based system ppl wouldn't seed so much and speeds would drop...there are far more disadvantages for not having a website
    Last edited by pECi; 11-14-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    http://metal.iplay.ro/pic/rmtlogosig.gif

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Until the website gets shut down.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Music Fascist BT Rep: +1
    Decentralised tracking is being investigated by utorrent and azereus in particular and since you can now make your own torrents in utorrent and distribute them to your friends without the need to upload a torrent to a website progress is being made. Cant say ive seen any way to search for these user made torrents tho so theres a long way to go.

And peci, it might be nice to have websites but its also the biggest weakenss of the protocol, sooner or later the websites will be taken down.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    pECi's Avatar ZOMG!! Torrent PLSSS BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    preferably later

and if one site closes...another 2 or 3 rise to take it's place...so there's no worry about that

weakness as in traceable by MPAA RIAA SUXAA...couldn't care less
    http://metal.iplay.ro/pic/rmtlogosig.gif

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Well my dream is to be able to open up one (or several) programs, type in any song, or tv show episode, or program, or game, and be able to download it quickly and easily, with full anonymity.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I don't think the full anonymity part is ever going to happen and if so then there will be no need to keep a good ratio which means that the whole basis of bittorrent has gone down the drain.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    We had quitters in the revolution too, we called them Kentuckyans! (hehehe, sorry I don't mean to offend but as soon as I read that it popped in to my head.)

Seriously though, I tend to disagree. I know that when I download something my down speed is limited by the height of my up speed, so if I don't upload at a decent clip it'll take me forever to get anything. Maybe a higher setting like that would be sufficient to keep things in good order.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Well the truth is if you are uploading at your full speed it actually slows down your download speed.I can download at 3000kbps and only upload at 256kbps.So your solution would be to limit the download rate to the max upload or am i reading it wrong.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Yeah, now I'm not an expert or anything but Utorrent seems to automatically slow my download speed if I turn my upload speed down. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll admit it if I am. But if I am that'd still be a decent solution. Trust me I don't want to destroy Bittorrent, I just want to find a way around the constant harrassment and fear mongering of the RIAA, MPAA, et al.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast