Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean coins?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Arrow

I got tons and TONS of 1943 steel pennies and I wanna clean about a hundred of them for novelty purposes.

The best way I know of so far is to buff em with a wirebrush dremel under flowing water, but that takes too long to do each and every penny.

The second best way is to soak 30-40 of them in some Tarn-X in the sink. Let them stay until they are "all" perfect. Then release the Tarn-X down the drain and flow some water over them.
    The only problem with this second method is the discoloration you get on most of them afterwards. They turn a little yellow in spots. If you dry them with heat, they will REALLY turn dark yellow...as if someone tossed em in the fryer.

Anyone know of any other goods ways? The dremel wirebrush is my most favored and I'm currently researching better ways to do multiple coins at a time. I currently can do 3 at a time in a wooden holder I built, but they don't like to stay in their tight fit slots all the time. I drilled drain holes in the slots also, because the liquid grime would fall below the coin and stain it worse or even again if you already cleaned it.

oh yea, if your interested in buying some steel pennies, then check out this auction:

For little packs of 3 steel pennies:
    http://igoto.co.uk/68s

They were only made in 1943, so they are constantly becoming more and more rare. The Secret Service of the US called a withdrawal of these steel pennies in 1955, and dumped a ton of them in the San Francisco bay.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 01-09-2007 at 10:42 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I haven't been watching late night adtv, for those "magical liquids" so i am not uptodate.

I have one of the first series 1euro coins, is it worth anything?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    Soak em in Coca Cola. It's seriously scary how well it works. Coins are a bit sticky after though. Vinegar with a bit of salt mixed in is also good, and doesn't leave them sticky.
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I was thinking about coca cola, but i thought that was merelly for rust?
    (is pepsi any different?)

5. Lounge   -   #5
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    Don't do it if they are valuable but it does work. I'm not sure about Pepsi. Why not do your own experiment to see what's best?

The followng are also good.

Vinegar with a pinch of salt
    Vinegar with bicarbonate of soda - dont leave them very long, you'll see the reaction.
    Ketchup, seriously.

I used to use this as a demonstration experiment with kids. Put half of them off Coke for life I think.
    Last edited by CrabGirl; 11-15-2006 at 10:30 PM.
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Ferric Oxide is good for polishing them after the cleaning process

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Try non-abrasive cleaners such as denatured or isopropyl alcohol, acetone, or an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (with water).

Or try Googling it.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. Lounge   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Try non-abrasive cleaners such as denatured or isopropyl alcohol, acetone, or an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (with water).

Or try Googling it.
    Oh, the ironing.

===

Best thing to do, Wolfmight you sad bar-steward, is to not collect pennies.

FFS, get a life, get laid, wanker.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    you just don't want people collecting coins so there are more for you to count in teh bank

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Did you mean irony? Seriously...that post in itself was ironic if you ask me.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast