Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

You have to look at timescales to say he was a threat. I mean at one point we not only armed him but provided training. A habit the US has.

Surely that comment is directed at ram82....

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

You have to look at timescales to say he was a threat. I mean at one point we not only armed him but provided training. A habit the US has.

Surely that comment is directed at ram82....
    No it was directed at your question and how I read his post. The point being that bin laden wasn't really known by the population at large during the clinton years and before that he was being funded by the US because of politics and his fighting the soviet occupation in Afghanistan.
    So my comment on timescale is that we didn't "fear" bin laden at that time. Let's face it, until 911 happened the average joe probably never once gave a thought to terrorism. In fact it was amazing how many seemed to think that terrorism was new to the world, living in the bubbles as they do.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    As to the "safer" thing?

To the extent we haven't suffered any attacks since then, it should be plain the reason is not that we've deterred them by dint of new policy (witness airport "security"...witness our porous borders), but because they've found us willing to "return fire", as it were.

There is no other reason.
    We shall ignore the anthrax thing then and just say that nobody has been blown up (on US soil).

The "anthrax" thing?

Oh, you mean the widespread dissemination of the anthrax envelopes?

I just threw mine in the garbage, as did everyone else I know who received one.

What did you do with yours?

How many years passed after the first WTC attack and the next terrorist attack on the US? Could it just be a matter of time?

I think you'd have to agree 9/11 signalled the lid had come off on terrorist intentions, and in light of that, what came before was small potatoes.

But it's funny how you say they have been deterred when worldwide terrorist attacks are way up. I would say that we are less safe because of Bush's policies simply because we are hated more.

Here's what I think about terrorist attacks on other countries, in a nutshell:

If Spain, or the U.K., or who-have-you, suffers a terrorist attack, they should retaliate, as we have, against the terrorists...what better way to dissociate themselves from the U.S.?

If Spain, for instance, prefers to make a case they are suffering attacks over their relationship with the U.S., it only makes sense to retaliate against the terrorists.

Unless they want to fuck with us, instead...

See, even if you don't agree with U.S. foreign policy, we generally try to twist arms through the cunning influence of aid and money, rather than bombing the subways and trains of our allies.

You apparently see a moral equivalence between the two, but I do not.

We are also more at risk from terrorist attacks from right wing bloggers

hold on, I've just been handed my fauxnews internal memo.........

Seems we can stop blaming clinton now and instead blame pelosi..... that will be a refreshing change
    Now it seems you consider any attempt to blame Ms. Pelosi and her cohort for America's problems to be a "terrorist attack"?

Figures...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

The "anthrax" thing?

Oh, you mean the widespread dissemination of the anthrax envelopes?

I just threw mine in the garbage, as did everyone else I know who received one.

What did you do with yours?
    Oh... did a plane fly into your house....can't have been widespead on 911 then.
    What is your death toll level at which you will call something terrorism and what do you think terrorism is?. I mean it left 5 americans dead and a few seriously ill. But to you that doesn't matter as you didn't get one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5960215/

Now it seems you consider any attempt to blame Ms. Pelosi and her cohort for America's problems to be a "terrorist attack"?

Figures...
    seems you are not up to date on your news about packages of white powder being sent through the mail by regular contributors of right wing blogs

It also seems you didn't get the fauxnews election talking points memo
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-17-2006 at 09:44 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Clinton trod the foreign stage well and was popular although he did not seem to do much. Ireland and Bosnia/Kosova might be considered successes of sorts (although I think we have been rather heavy handed with the Serbs who have long been our stoutest allies in the region - they weren't all Milosovics). Bill mainly appeared to be concerned with domestic economics and interns. Nevertheless, he has a charm and easy intelligent manner that still makes him popular abroad

Bush came onto the scene and eschewed nation building and said he wanted to concentrate on domestic issues but has actually spent most of his time attempting to nation building (with, it must be said, limited results). On the international front he had an unfortunate manner (I say had as he appears to be undergoing some sort of transformation at the moment) and tended to come across as boorish and unsympathetic "Dead or Alive" "Bring it on". At best he appeared ill-advised.

Bush rightly or wrongly will be defined by the outcome of the Iraq war and not his economic policy or war against AQ. Bill rightly or wrongly will be remembered for relative peace and prosperity and that dress, his rougishness enhancing his image rather than diminishing it.
    Last edited by Biggles; 11-18-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian View Post
    If it's just an opinion you're after, mine is that Clinton tried to make a few friends and gave some thought to the point of view of other countries.

Bush just couldn't give a shit what anyone except the USA thinks.

That's the overriding difference between the two.
    I pretty much agree with that. Bush's attitude seems to be something like "we don't have to listen to other people, so we won't".

I also agree with Les' point that Clinton could claim some international success. He and his chaps did appear to play a fairly vital part in the whole Irish thing.

Let's be honest here tho', his popliarity is probably because he is an intelligent, eloquent and charismatic man. Bush may be intelligent, I don't know however he is certainly neither eloquent or charismatic.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

Let's be honest here tho', his popliarity is probably because he is an intelligent, eloquent and charismatic man. Bush may be intelligent, I don't know however he is certainly neither eloquent or charismatic.
    I will give Clinton that much, he was a great speaker. By that, I simply mean that he was comfortable in front of the cameras, and a smooth talker.

Bush on the other hand, just has a different way about him. To me, it's natural. We're both Texans and so I see his posture and body language as normal. It really is a cultural thing. Though I can also see how others have percieved it as being different, or as I read once, "unprofessional".

yo

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

I will give Clinton that much, he was a great speaker. By that, I simply mean that he was comfortable in front of the cameras, and a smooth talker.

Bush on the other hand, just has a different way about him. To me, it's natural. We're both Texans and so I see his posture and body language as normal. It really is a cultural thing. Though I can also see how others have percieved it as being different, or as I read once, "unprofessional".
    Skizo,

With the best will in the World it isn't a cultural thing. Sometimes he talks absolute shite.

"The only way we can win is to leave before the job is done." --George W. Bush, Greeley, Colo., Nov. 4, 2006

"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." --George W. Bush, Des Moines, Iowa, Oct. 26, 2006

"One has a stronger hand when there's more people playing your same cards." --George W. Bush, on holding six-party talks with North Korea, Washington, D.C., Oct. 11, 2006

"I like to tell people when the final history is written on Iraq, it will look like just a comma because there is -- my point is, there's a strong will for democracy." --George W. Bush, interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Sept. 24, 2006

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." --George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

"And I suspect that what you'll see, Toby, is there will be a momentum, momentum will be gathered. Houses will begat jobs, jobs will begat houses." --George W. Bush, talking to reporters along the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, Gulfport, Miss., Aug. 28, 2006

"I think -- tide turning -- see, as I remember -- I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of -- it's easy to see a tide turn -- did I say those words?" --George W. Bush, asked if the tide was turning in Iraq, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006

It's not like it's a one-off mate. He's at it all the time.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I said his "posture and body language" was cultural, not his speaking abilities.

It's no secret to anyone that he fumbles all over his words.

yo

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    I said his "posture and body language" was cultural, not his speaking abilities.

It's no secret to anyone that he fumbles all over his words.
    I haven't noticed his posture or body language as being in any way out of the ordinary.

It's just that he talks shite, on regular occassions. It's a bit more than him fumbling over his words.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

"The law I sign today directs new funds and new focus to the task of collecting vital intelligence on terrorist threats and on weapons of mass production."

"I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will."

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."

"I want to thank the President and the CEO of Constellation Energy, Mayo Shattuck. That's a pretty cool first name, isn't it, Mayo. Pass the Mayo."

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say: You, too, can be president of the United States."

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast