Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    "To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say: You, too, can be president of the United States."
    That last was actually because he was a "C" student...poking a bit of fun at himself.

Do you think the items on Bush's plate (as compared with Clinton's) are at all different after 9/11?

Do you think the inaction of the U.N. in the face Iraqi intransigence may have had any bearing on international perceptions of U.S. foreign policy?

Do you think Tony Blair aligned himself with Bush because he was sucking up, or because he thought it in England's best interest to do so?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I will give Clinton that much, he was a great speaker. By that, I simply mean that he was comfortable in front of the cameras, and a smooth talker.
    That's 'cuz he got his oil changed every day.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Do you think Tony Blair aligned himself with Bush because he was sucking up, or because he thought it in England's best interest to do so?
    You suspect he didn't really care about the rest of the United Kingdom then.

I think that's a bit harsh.

Oh and there are options other than the two you proposed. For example he may have just thought it was the right thing to do.

Or he may have discussed it with other members of the Government and acted out the democratic process.

Or it may have been debated in Parliament.

Or he could have done it because it seemed like a bit of a larf at the time.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    It's just that he talks shite, on regular occassions. It's a bit more than him fumbling over his words.
    Oh, absolutely correct.

Those words were all intentionally scripted and accurately recited, in an attempt to shed the cloak of presumptive U.S. superiority.

That's what I hear, anyhow.

A magnificent success, too.

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Can something be unintentionally scripted.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36

My apologies for the oversight...I didn't think you'd appreciate his speaking for you.

Oh and there are options other than the two you proposed. For example he may have just thought it was the right thing to do.

That's impossible, ask anybody.

No one in his right mind would so conclude.

He wanted to be Bush's bitch, pure and simple, and wasn't about to pass up the chance.

So I've heard.

Or he may have discussed it with other members of the Government and acted out the democratic process.

I think we'd have heard, if that were the case.

And advocated by Galloway, too...

I don't doubt that last.

Ironic, huh?

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Given his confident mien and facility with words, I don't doubt he departs from the script when it suits him, no worries.

He means what he says, and he's a man of his word(s).

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go chase men wielding high-powered weapons through a heavily-wooded area.

It's great fun; I hear you can't do this in the U.K.

Sorry to hear it.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38

My apologies for the oversight...I didn't think you'd appreciate his speaking for you.

I believe in the Democratic process, we elected the party he leads ergo he speaks for me.

That's impossible, ask anybody.

No one in his right mind would so conclude.

He wanted to be Bush's bitch, pure and simple, and wasn't about to pass up the chance.

So I've heard.

I think that may just have been an added bonus

I think we'd have heard, if that were the case.

We did, you're just to parochial to listen

And advocated by Galloway, too...

I wouldn't have thought so

I don't doubt that last.

Ironic, huh?
    No, not really.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Given his confident mien and facility with words, I don't doubt he departs from the script when it suits him, no worries.

He means what he says, and he's a man of his word(s).

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go chase men wielding high-powered weapons through a heavily-wooded area.

It's great fun; I hear you can't do this in the U.K.

Sorry to hear it.
    What makes you think this. It's a regular occurance.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I said his "posture and body language" was cultural, not his speaking abilities.

It's no secret to anyone that he fumbles all over his words.
    I haven't noticed his posture or body language as being in any way out of the ordinary.

It's just that he talks shite, on regular occassions. It's a bit more than him fumbling over his words.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

"The law I sign today directs new funds and new focus to the task of collecting vital intelligence on terrorist threats and on weapons of mass production."

"I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will."

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."

"I want to thank the President and the CEO of Constellation Energy, Mayo Shattuck. That's a pretty cool first name, isn't it, Mayo. Pass the Mayo."

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say: You, too, can be president of the United States."
    One can find this kind of shit about anyone though. You can't single Bush out as if he's the only one.

Clinton has been a topic of the forums as of late, so I'll pick on him a bit.

"I can spend your money better than you can."

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

"The last time I checked, the Constitution said, 'of the people, by the people and for the people.' That's what the Declaration of Independence says."

"It has not worked. No one can say it has worked, so I decided we're either going to do what we said we're going to do with the U.N., or we're going to do something else."

"African-Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."

"It depends on how you define "alone" ... there were a lot of times when we were alone, but I never really thought we were."

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is".

yo

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast