Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filesharing News

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Peaceplaya@13 May 2003 - 07:34
    Thanks kab, thats what I needed to know, jibbler, hope you are a better filesharer than your responses reflect on the board, You shouldnt kick someone trying to help keep the p2p community safe! Peace B)
    In all honesty, I sometimes forget that there are lots of newbies on these boards. Without going into a huge explanation, I tried to point out that viruses are really pretty rare, and that your chances of infection are virtually erased if you run a current version of a virus scanning program. B)

If you don't like my advice, take it or leave it. I contribute hours to this board, and lots of hashes in the verifieds. I'm not a mod, just an active member of this community. Sometimes I can be a bit harsh, but its only because I see post after post containing much the same info. Your post was unique to this board, but not really news. A fix was already released by Symantec for infected computers which you can find here.

Here is all the info you'll ever need, written today May 13, 2003 at 841am. Try this.

So, does anyone feel any safer now?
    Proud member of MDS

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Your point is well taken Jibbler and I am sure everyone is very appreciative of your efforts here, I know I am, but here in Australia I have only tonight heard about this Fizzer(fisser) thing so came here to find out about it, so your point about people HAVING to have heard about it does not hold much water, the world is a big place, we don't all have Broadband or sit at our screens 24/7, so please keep up the good work you do but allow for the guys who aren't as with it as you, and please take this in the good faith it's posted with.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by ozhog@14 May 2003 - 07:37
    please take this in the good faith it's posted with.
    Fair enough.
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Don't worry about it everyone, this worm may soon go away.
    According to this article it will eventually uninstall itself from your PC.

Tehee, doesn't this violate the Fizzer EULA?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Always remember that AV software may lag behind the NEWEST virus on Kazaa by a month or more.
    They can't make good virus cleaners for viruses they haven't fully studied yet...
    So you may have to be infected for a month even using the 'latest and greatest' AV before it gets cleaned off.

Just all the MORE reason to pay close attention to the behavior of any EXE you download off Kazaa.
    If when you click on one it seems to 'do nothing', better start looking in run MSCONFIG, STARTUP tab for a new entry with a similar name... cuz that's where most viruses go!

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23+13 May 2003 - 13:58--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Schmiggy_JK23 @ 13 May 2003 - 13:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peaceplaya@13 May 2003 - 06:34
    Thanks kab, thats what I needed to know, jibbler, hope you are a better filesharer than your responses reflect on the board, You shouldnt kick someone trying to help keep the p2p community safe&#33; Peace B)
    He wasnt kicking you, he was being blunt, and in all truth, hes dead on...

If you get a worm like thats, its your own damn fault. Keep your Norton updated daily, or every two days, make it continually scan, and 99.99% of the time, you will be fine. I have been online for 7 years, one virus, the whole time, and that was when i didnt keep my definitions up to date, my first year, cuz i didnt know better...

theres no excuse anymore... if you run an exe file, u download from a 3rd party, w/o it having been scanned by norton, or mcafee, or something, then u deserve it, its common sense. [/b][/quote]
    @ this moment there are 2000+ fizzer bots on p2pchat,net

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by Switeck@16 May 2003 - 19:06
    Always remember that AV software may lag behind the NEWEST virus on Kazaa by a month or more.
    They can&#39;t make good virus cleaners for viruses they haven&#39;t fully studied yet...
    So you may have to be infected for a month even using the &#39;latest and greatest&#39; AV before it gets cleaned off.

Just all the MORE reason to pay close attention to the behavior of any EXE you download off Kazaa.
    If when you click on one it seems to &#39;do nothing&#39;, better start looking in run MSCONFIG, STARTUP tab for a new entry with a similar name... cuz that&#39;s where most viruses go&#33;
    Using something like http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml will give you an instant heads-up as to whether some rogue .exe has placed itself into your startup routines

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    One other note. "Names" don&#39;t necessarily mean "safe." Two weeks ago, a friend&#39;s XP system started acting strange and she asked me for help. According to her Norton AV software, everything was just fine. But, when I tried to download the most recent AV update, it wouldn&#39;t give me access to the Symantec download site. So, I uninstalled Norton and installed "free" AV software from the Grifsoft.com site (AV software I use myself). Seconds after initializing, it detected and quarantined a Win32/CIH virus ... and following that, the system started working fine again. This is not to say free Grisoft AV software is better than Norton. A week from now, Norton may catch something neither Grisoft nor McAfee catches. And the week after that, maybe McAfee will catch something other software won&#39;t.

There&#39;s no one perfect shield. The best thing any of us can do is keep whatever AV software we have in an updated state as often as possible, cross our fingers, and hope for the best.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    To Jibbler, I do appreciate the classy way you answered my reply&#33; B) I just want to keep the this filesharing thing alive in whatever I can do. Again, I appreciate your response, because it shows that you are a credit to the board&#33; I apologize for my assumptions. Keep up the great work&#33;

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    BANNED
    simple just using nortons on protect cant catch a virus then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast