Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Cards!

Poster
    i duno if this is the right forum but i need a better one cuz i was playing the Postal 2 and it says my Video Card is under minumun Requierments what Card do u think i should get? im not sure which onei have right now but i'll find out here real quick. thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    This should go under Hardware World, mate.
    Hmm, I don't keep track with the newest graphics cards and all. BUt I certainly heard the Radeon's by ATI are still the best in the market so far, the newer ones, of course.
    If not, I'm a nVidia user. I'm currently on a cheap GeForce 4 MMX 440 but I'm happy with it becasue most of the games seem to work and I'm not really that particular of graphics.

http://www.nvidia.com
    http://www.ati.com

EDIT: It will help a lot if you did a video card search on Hardware world, I remembered a discussion on something like this there earlier on.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    How old is your motherboard? If it has an AGP slot, you need do know if it's revision 1 or 2. Revision 1 cards are nearly impossible to find. If you can't use AGP, you'll have to get a PCI card. You should also try to find out how big your power supply is. You're supposed to have at least 300 Watts for a Geforce4 card, but mine runs OK with only 200 (so far).

New Egg has good prices on video cards. But if you're unsure what to get, or you think you might want to return it for some reason, it might be better to go to a store like Best Buy or Circuit City.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/ is good place to read about video cards, well any cards really! they also do comparisons between different cards. i recommend you check that site out before deciding!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    how do u find out what kind of mothersboard it is. i barely bought it this past christmas. i cant memeber but how do i find out what kind it is. its a new computer. u know P4 520 MB DDR 2.4 GHz.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i have a radeon 8500 with a PIII-1gb and 640mb ram and it still lags when playing counter strike even when vsyn is off, and yes it is the latest driver, what should i do!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    try turning down details and resolution
    maybe you're hoping for too much, what framerate are you getting?
    if you don't know, download fraps

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by Pitbul@13 May 2003 - 03:56
    how do u find out what kind of mothersboard it is. i barely bought it this past christmas. i cant memeber but how do i find out what kind it is. its a new computer. u know P4 520 MB DDR 2.4 GHz.
    Odds are, if those are your specs, you have a revision 2 agp card, so any card with 4x agp, maybe even 8x will be fine.

What is your budget on a new card?

$300-400: Get a Radeon 9800 pro
    $200-300: Get a Radeon 9700 pro both by Ati
    $200-150: Get a Radeon 9600, also by atie
    $150-80: Get a Geforce 4 ti4200....

All of them should work on your motherboard just fine... though the 9800, and maybe the 9700 require your run another molex power connector to them, but thats not a big issue.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by zhelynd@13 May 2003 - 11:21
    i have a radeon 8500 with a PIII-1gb and 640mb ram and it still lags when playing counter strike even when vsyn is off, and yes it is the latest driver, what should i do!!
    Counter Strike shouldnt lag much under those settings, hardware wise.

Maybe its your internet connection? I assume your on cable/dsl? If not, what are you on... if its cable, and your lagging, make sure you have klite, and another apps that use alot of your bandwith, off when you play, to dedicate your bandwith to the game. I shut off klite, emule, bittorrent, every time I play CS...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23+13 May 2003 - 17:37--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Schmiggy_JK23 @ 13 May 2003 - 17:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Pitbul@13 May 2003 - 03:56
    Odds are, if those are your specs, you have a revision 2 agp card, so any card with 4x agp, maybe even 8x will be fine.

What is your budget on a new card?

&#036;300-400: Get a Radeon 9800 pro
    &#036;200-300: Get a Radeon 9700 pro both by Ati
    &#036;200-150: Get a Radeon 9600, also by atie
    &#036;150-80: Get a Geforce 4 ti4200....

All of them should work on your motherboard just fine... though the 9800, and maybe the 9700 require your run another molex power connector to them, but thats not a big issue. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks ALOT&#33;&#33;&#33; im glad u got that cleared up for me. im not looking for n e thing really expensive just something that will play games with more easy then the one i got now which is stock. i&#39;ll prolly go for the Geforce 4 ti4200 they seem to be more well rounded and i&#39;ve seen less problems when it comes to bigger more movie oriented games such as MGS Substance. plus i guess its just personal preffrence but thanks agian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast