Samsung has taken the wraps off a prototype QVGA LCD panel (500:1 contrast ratio, 300nit brightness) that is just 0.82mm thick -- about the same thickness as a typical credit card. The new LCD panel is also 0.07 thinner than the previous title holder.

Samsung says that these new thin displays are a result of a new mobile technology dubbed "i-Lens." With i-Lens, Samsung is able to incorporate the panel assembly and the accompanying protective layer into a single shock-resistant module.

"Samsung’s R&D initiatives, including LCD module thickness reduction and reinforced shock resistance, will enable our customers to develop truly differentiated and more reliable, ultra-thin mobile products," said Executive Vice President Yun Jin-hyuk of Samsung's the Mobile Display Team.

Samsung notes that in traditional mobile phones, there is a 2 to 3mm space between the LCD module and the protective layer. With the i-Lens process, the protect layer is applied directly to the LCD module allowing for a thinner package.

The new 2.1" and 2.2" screens will be put into mass production in the latter half of 2007.

---------
someone noticed that they blanked out the signature on the credit card but IMO it's pretty hard to read those numbers.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5030