View Poll Results: Would a military draft make those in power more cautious before they commit to war

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 27.27%
  • no

8 72.73%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Draft

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Simple question

If there were a military draft, and the only way to dodge it was a real disability, so almost everyone in the land will have a personal stake.

Would it make those in power more cautious before they commit to war?

I think yes because with more having a personal stake the gut check would hold those in power more accountable.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Simple question

If there were a military draft, and the only way to dodge it was a real disability, so almost everyone in the land will have a personal stake.

Would it make those in power more cautious before they commit to war?

I think yes because with more having a personal stake the gut check would hold those in power more accountable.
    wtf?

I remember Viet Nam; I don't recall any guilt/gut check on the part of any politician, and don't see why there would be.

If troops are necessary, they're necessary, and contrary to what you're probably thinking, you'd have difficulty painting Iraq as an "elective" war when compared to Viet Nam, Korea, or even WWII.

I say no.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I don't really understand, how would the disability thing give almost everyone in the land a personal stake.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    I don't really understand, how would the disability thing give almost everyone in the land a personal stake.
    in past wars such as vietnam when there was a draft some were able to "dodge" or take deferments. This tended to favor the well off.

If the only way to do this was a disability then most of those that dodged vietnam would not have been able to do so.

This would mean that most families in the land would have someone eligible to fight with no get out.
    You would have your children, and if it came to it yourself as you are still not exactly an old man

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    in past wars such as vietnam when there was a draft some were able to "dodge" or take deferments. This tended to favor the well off.

If the only way to do this was a disability then most of those that dodged vietnam would not have been able to do so.

This would mean that most families in the land would have someone eligible to fight with no get out.
    You would have your children, and if it came to it yourself as you are still not exactly an old man
    Like the greatest sportsman of the 20th Century?

I dont think conscription would make any difference. There will always be wars.

J2, I think the American involvement in Vietnam ,Korea and WWII were 'defensive' or 'retalilation' type wars. I dont think the second Iraq war falls into either of these categories.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I did say "tended"....those with "connections" were favored also
    Oh I agree there will always be wars, but the question is "Would it make those in power more cautious before they commit to war"?

I think half the problem with Iraq was that the lawmakers failed to do their duty to be fully informed before they gave their approval.

Now we have seen the reason we went in change.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-22-2006 at 10:42 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I did say "tended"....those with "connections" were favored also
    Oh I agree there will always be wars, but the question is "Would it make those in power more cautious before they commit to war"?

I think half the problem with Iraq was that the lawmakers failed to do their duty to be fully informed before they gave their approval.

Now we have seen the reason we went in change
    Words of Mass Deception. I find that hard to believe.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

Understood, thanks for the explanation.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

J2, I think the American involvement in Vietnam ,Korea and WWII were 'defensive' or 'retalilation' type wars. I dont think the second Iraq war falls into either of these categories.
    Leaving aside WWII and Korea, Viet Nam is most often compared with Iraq, so I'll use that:

In Viet Nam, we were (ostensibly, at least) trying to roll back/limit communism, which we deemed the evil-of-the-day.

In Iraq, we are (for the naysayers, again, ostensibly) trying to roll back/limit terrorism, the latest evil-of-the-day.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    In Iraq, we are (for the naysayers, again, ostensibly) trying to roll back/limit terrorism, the latest evil-of-the-day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast