Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Develops Paper Capable of 450GB of Storage

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    According to a report from the Arab News, a university technology student named Sainul Abideen has invented a method of storing massive amounts of digital data on a plain piece of paper that he claims could store many times the capacity of the best Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs. In fact, Abideen says that his Rainbow technology can enable him to store up to 450GB on a piece of paper. As far as a real life demonstration of a 450GB paper goes, the technology still needs development.

Abideen claims that that his Rainbow system is better than a binary storage because instead of using ones and zeros to represent data, Abideen uses geometric shapes such as squares and hexagons to represent data patterns. Color is also used in the system to represent other data elements. According to Abideen, all that's required to read the Rainbow prints is a scanner and specialized software.

The reporter at Arab News claims to have seen 450 pages of fully printed foolscap being stored on a 4-square inch piece of Rainbow paper. The reporter also claimed that he was shown a 45-second video clip that was stored using the Rainbow system on a plain piece of paper. Interestingly, 45-seconds of video isn't a lot, and if the Rainbow system can store up to 450GB, then we need to be watching full length high-definition videos from a piece of paper.

News source from Neowin.Net contributed by macstorm: DailyTech
    ----------------------------------
    Now, this is bizzare. Better keep on this, to see if its... ...true.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=36250
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 11-25-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    doesn't seem plausible sounds a bit like jpg technology?

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    100% grade A bullshit

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    As far as a real life demonstration of a 450GB paper goes, the technology still needs development.
    thats what i was looking for

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Poster
    Why Use Geometric Shapes , ? Why Not Binary ? , If The size was small enough , you can fit a hell of a lot of 0's and 1's on the paper. but maybe Shapes are the way to go for him

However , you neeed a scanner to read this? , IF the shapes are small then will the scanner even pick them up , and if the shapes are big , then how will it differ say a triangle that is IE from a triangle that is firefox? (simple examples)?

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Smile

Like I said, I keep visiting Neowin.Net to see if its a hoax (and why someone would do this).

I particularly like the 23rd Post by Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I have found a way to bypass the need for an OS and software altogether! The technology is out and ready to be used.

I call it paper and pen!

Another Source for this article (with pictures!): http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5052
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 11-26-2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added source.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Lets see how this one goes!!! If it goes well i am gonna stock up a hell of a lot of paper!!!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i dont think this will be used at all

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    gustafo's Avatar p2p bi4tch BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    Lets see how this one goes!!! If it goes well i am gonna stock up a hell of a lot of paper!!!!
    Tomorrow i'm making myself a Zillion-Terabyte Disc!

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    DISABLED PRIVS
    holy sh*t lolz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast