Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitachi-Maxell to Ship Holographic Storage this Year

frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    300GB at first, and 1.6TB later

According to reports, Maxell along with InPhase Technologies will be bringing holographic storage technology to the market at the end of this year. Maxell's director of technical marketing Rich D'Ambrise said that 300GB holographic discs will be available in November or December of this year. Maxell also indicated that sometime in 2008, the company will be introducing second generation disc that store up to 800GB of data. By 2010, Maxell is hoping to introduce 1.6TB holographic discs.

In a report, D'Ambrise said "We're happy so far that we haven't hit any obstacles with the drive or the media, and that we're on schedule to deliver to the market." Maxell said that while the technology is currently limited to enterprise customers, producing mass market holographic media and drives shouldn't take long. The company is currently working on producing media in several sizes, including stamps, credit card and regular CD size cartridges. Consumer media will range from 75GB to 100GB in the first generation said D'Ambrise. The new 300GB discs will transfer data at roughly 20MB per second, but Maxell indicated that we should see faster rates as the technology progresses. According to InPhase:

High-definition video. Data archiving. Medical imaging. Massive databases. These are just some of the applications driving the need for faster, higher capacity storage. Regulatory compliance requirements have also pushed this need into the forefront for many IT departments. InPhase’s holographic storage solutions meet the rapidly growing storage demands of business, government, medical, and educational institutions.

According to Maxell and InPhase, two companies have picked up the technology: Pappas Broadcasting and Turner Broadcasting. InPhase sampled out its technology earlier this year around CES time. Many industry experts expect holographic technology to take off in a big way after 2008. Because data is stored volumetrically throughout the depths of the disc, the technology is able to achieve capacities beyond conventional surface recording techniques used in technologies such as Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Earlier this year, InPhase told the press that holographic storage will be available commercially this year and the company has stayed true to its claim. As of now, the new holographic drives will cost roughly $15,000 to enterprises and media will cost roughly anywhere from $120 to $180 per disc. The media is currently a write-once only media, with a lifetime of roughly 50 years. Maxell hopes to improve these figures by the time 2008 comes around.

-------------
    didn't expect this for a few more years.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3641

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Poster
    Now This is amazing , not like the damn paper storgage, WOW cant wait to get my hands on that 1tb disk . Amazing!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Surprised/Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
    not like the damn paper storgage
    Hey.... I've always hoped hard drives and other media would become better than what they are now (slowest part of the computer...). I am always afraid to buy a HD thats over 100+ GB.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    ... I am always afraid to buy a HD thats over 100+ GB.
    Why?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    ... I am always afraid to buy a HD thats over 100+ GB.
    Why?
    I've always figured it'd slow down my computer, but really I guess that'd only be if I use all 100 GB. Currently, I have a 130 GB external for all media and docs. Games? I keep 2-3 high-end games (Like FEAR, Oblivion, Half-Life2, etc.) installed on my main drive (60GB) then uninstall when done.

Works for me. Whatdya think?
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Larger drives are faster. More data on each platter surface (higher data density) means that it's packed closer together and with the same rotation speed you get to your data faster.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    I've always heard the opposite...And that it really depends on the RPM speed, too.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    1.6TB ? I can't seem to fill a 60 gb hd .

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    wow all those are higher than my hdd

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    and to think only a few years ago, 10gb hdd's were like amazing

i wonder our kids would have in their lifetimes. wow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast