Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A case of political "near-violence", I guess...

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Both sides in this conflict have a lot to answer for, the IRA was responsible for the deaths of over three thousand people, and their killers were released too, so it's really not all that unusual that a nutcase like Stone should try to murder Adams and McGuinness.
    I agree, one loads as bad as the other and it is unfortunate that we had to release any of them early. However I do think it was necessary for the peace process to have any chance.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    I agree, one loads as bad as the other and it is unfortunate that we had to release any of them early. However I do think it was necessary for the peace process to have any chance.
    Absolutely, but I'd hate to have been a victim of either side and see people responsible for murdering a member of my family released after a couple of years. It's much easier for those of us not personally touched by all this to accept it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Absolutely, but I'd hate to have been a victim of either side and see people responsible for murdering a member of my family released after a couple of years. It's much easier for those of us not personally touched by all this to accept it.
    I couldn't agree more. However hopefully they see that things are better now and that there was no other way to get where they are today. The prospect of it not happening again must go some way to console them, much as they may never be able to forgive the murderers.

Like I said it's far from ideal, but surely the lesser of two evils.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    I remember when this started again in 1969, my wife's uncle and family were living in the first street attacked by loyalists in Belfast, and were some of the first people to leave for safety in England. Up until that point, and the return to violence by the IRA, the sympathy lay with the Catholics, Paisley was hated in England as a loud mouthed arsehole. I can't help thinking that, had the IRA committed themselves to a campaign of civil disobedience, the shut down of services, strikes, etc., and a peaceful political campaign, there could well have been a united Ireland by now, almost 40 years later.

I'd like to see a referendum in England, Scotland and Wales asking the people if Ireland should be united, I think the answer would be a resounding yes. I'm not sure if the Irish people are really aware that it isn't the people of Britain who insist that Ulster remains part of the UK, but a minority of Irish.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Britain has been releasing 'political prisoners' during most of my lifetime. India, Cyprus, Kenya, Malaya to name but a few. It is a sad but necessary part of peace processes.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Another part of the Good Friday deal was that the Republic dropped it's claim on the north from it's constitution. There doesn't seem to be any prospect of Ireland being re-united.

That's why the whole Stone thing is so mental. The union will stay, the loyalists / unionists will control the Assembly. So Stone and his ilk should have everything they claim they wanted.

Why then does he still feel the need to murder, unless the whole thing was about hate and sectarianism and they will never be satisfied.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Why then does he still feel the need to murder, unless the whole thing was about hate and sectarianism and they will never be satisfied.
    It does seem strange, apparently he was shouting something about wanting to kill Adams and McGuinness because they were killers. He must justify the six murders he was convicted of.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    It does seem strange, apparently he was shouting something about wanting to kill Adams and McGuinness because they were killers. He must justify the six murders he was convicted of.
    Exactly

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Do you mean to say he might be addicted to terrorism.

Do you think others might be so affected.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Do you mean to say he might be addicted to terrorism.

Do you think others might be so affected.
    I hadn't thought of that but I s'pose it is possble.

I more meant that his hatred of the other side was more important than his love of his own side. That way even when they have everything they wanted he just can't stop hating.

The whole idea was a fresh start. We let you all out then you rule by compromise, you even get to be the majority, until people become more interested in politics and less in religion. However that's no use to him, he had to keep it going.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast