Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 Cents

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD View Post
    From the furious typing going on in the other room, I'm guessing he's working on a longer reply.
    Jonno types "furiously"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Games   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene View Post
    lol I was kidding in a jealous way cos you got all 3

I don't have a PS3.

Jonno

Edit:

Specs are shit without a developer taking advantage of it

This is true, but it's taken xbox game developers a year to come up with GOW has it not?
    And how would you compare one of xbox's launch titles say.... Call Of Duty 2 (one of my favourites on PC) vs PS3's Resistance?
    From what I've seen Resistance looks far better and has upgraded controls and gameplay yet this is a launch title with PS3 so imagine what they can do in a years time. And seriously, no one can dispute that previous PS games have set so many benchmarks in the gaming world for graphics, controls, gameplay, longevity, AI etc etc.
    Also the 360 at present and for the forseeable future only has dual layer dvd to work with, give EA, Rockstar, Eidos etc a while to get to grips with it and I can see games on the PS3 being of such magnitude to the likes we and Xbox have never imagined.
    For instance, the size of game of GTA or Final Fantasy on an 8.5gb disc. Then think about them on a 50gb disc.
    Personally I think the PS3 is the first true Next-Gen gaming system and the 360 and wii are simply upgrades of old technology and thinking.

Like I said, I do like the 360 but in a years time I think the PS3 will bury it.
    1. The 360 is clearly next-gen.
    2. The Wii clearly is not.
    3. The PS3 will possibly bury the 360 for reasons unrelated to be being a next-gen gaming console.
    It's backwards compatible.
    It has a next-gen movie player built-in.

The games don't even have to be better the 360 games and it'd win out. Also Sony has great exclusives.

Tbh, I don't see PS3 games outshining 360 games by any stretch.

A good benchmark is to see how multi-platform games turn out on both systems.

Last go round the Xbox clearly won that.

Also I heard Resistance is 17 GB. I doubt we'll see many games on the dual layer discs.

The biggest mistake M$ made was not incorporate HD-DVD into the console. This wasn't entirely M$'s fault though.

3. Games   -   #13
    Mr. Peabody's Avatar Poster
    Actually the main reason Sony went with the Blue-ray drive was
    it's a major backer of Blue-ray dvd movies.
    What better way to insure sales by incorperating it in thier next product.
    If storage is in question what's to stop Xbox360 from bringing games on a multiple disc format if not already,it's been done with the Final Fantasy series on Ps1.

I'm not a big console player now adays,not since Ps1.
    Had a Ps2 for little more then a year before it crapped out,since then I've been a strictly Pc gamer and never looked back.
    Suffering from a wet dream, no it's just me I had to pee.

4. Games   -   #14
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    1. The 360 is clearly next-gen.
    Not really, they have simply upgraded graphics and sound and cpu, everything else is pretty much the same. The only thing "Next-Gen" about it is the personalisation of profiles etc.

Not gonna argue there.

3. The PS3 will possibly bury the 360 for reasons unrelated to be being a next-gen gaming console.
    The 360 is backwards compatible too.

True. Although I personally think the PS3 will win through with it's games and not simply the movie player.

The games don't even have to be better the 360 games and it'd win out. Also Sony has great exclusives.
    I did say that.

Using media capable of utilizing over 5 times the size? you don't see that? really?

Benchmark is first, setting a standard. And the 360s best to date is GOW correct? 10 hours of gameplay in a relativly easy game, yes like I said elsewhere it's a good game but far from great IMHO, look 1 year hence with the PS3 and THEN we'll see who sets real benchmarks.

Wasn't the Xbox released around a year after the PS2? so it should have done although it didn't, yet the PS3 has already caused more of a stir than the 360 did and the PS2 outsold the Xbox 2-1 in canada (although I cannot find a link I do remember reading that as does Nik). and in may PS2 was still outselling the Xbox 360 in the U.S.

Also I heard Resistance is 17 GB. I doubt we'll see many games on the dual layer discs.
    Why?
    And resistance is a "Launch" title.

The biggest mistake M$ made was not incorporate HD-DVD into the console. This wasn't entirely M$'s fault though.
    True. That and simply being Microsoft lol

@Mr. Peabody....
    If storage is in question what's to stop Xbox360 from bringing games on a multiple disc format if not already,it's been done with the Final Fantasy series on Ps1.
    But by the same token whats to stop game companies bring out multiple disc games for PS3, the Xbox cannot possibly keep up using dvds. To make resistance they would need 3 discs yes?

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 12-02-2006 at 11:55 PM.

5. Games   -   #15
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Just to clarify, Nik found the link I was talking about. I was wrong PS2 didn't outsell xbox 2-1............it outsold it 4-1 lol

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthr...id=8498&page=2

The following argument a guy has said about at least 25% of sony's figures are boosted, that still (if true) makes it 3-1.

So who won the last console war?

Jonno

Edit: Aww crap, I posted that under Nikki's account......D'oH!

NikkiD

Pps: getting wrong for posting under her name wiv bad gramar.....and speling and stuff like vat huh cor.
    Last edited by NikkiD; 12-03-2006 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Posted under wrong account.

6. Games   -   #16
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Not really, they have simply upgraded graphics and sound and cpu, everything else is pretty much the same. The only thing "Next-Gen" about it is the personalisation of profiles etc.

What do you think next-gen is? As long as the graphics, sound, and CPU is enough, then it's considered next-gen.

Not gonna argue there.

The 360 is backwards compatible too.

Agreed but what system has more games out of the box? The PS3.

True. Although I personally think the PS3 will win through with it's games and not simply the movie player.

The thing that puts the PS3 over the top is the Blu-Ray player though. Many people look at the price of the players now ($800 and up), see the PS3 for $600, and consider it a bargain on that alone.

I did say that.

Where?

Using media capable of utilizing over 5 times the size? you don't see that? really?

I don't think it'll be utilized to the fullest. With PS2, games that utilized it's full potential didn't come out 'till in the end systems cycle. From what I read, the PS3 is even harder to program games for.

Benchmark is first, setting a standard. And the 360s best to date is GOW correct? 10 hours of gameplay in a relativly easy game, yes like I said elsewhere it's a good game but far from great IMHO, look 1 year hence with the PS3 and THEN we'll see who sets real benchmarks.

Agreed. The only drawback to GOW is it's shortness. I beat it in 2 sittings and it was less than 10 hours.

Wasn't the Xbox released around a year after the PS2? so it should have done although it didn't, yet the PS3 has already caused more of a stir than the 360 did and the PS2 outsold the Xbox 2-1 in canada (although I cannot find a link I do remember reading that as does Nik). and in may PS2 was still outselling the Xbox 360 in the U.S.

I'm talking how good the system was and not how much it sold.

The PS2 came out before the Xbox and was backward compatible so should have sold more.

The Xbox came after so it should have had better graphics. The stir for the PS3 is about the same around as the 360. I remember people camping out for the 360 as well.

Why?
    And resistance is a "Launch" title.

Again, I just don't think it'd be utilized. DVD-9 was around with PS2 and there were maybe 10 games that came out in that format. I just don't think it'll be games needing over 25 GB and if so, it'll be a handful.

What does that mean?

@Mr. Peabody....
    But by the same token whats to stop game companies bring out multiple disc games for PS3, the Xbox cannot possibly keep up using dvds. To make resistance they would need 3 discs yes?

Jonno
    Well because the games would cost a shitload. Unlike DVD, Blu-Ray is brand spanking new and costs a motherfucker. Cost in manufacturing won't go down for years.

Now let's take one of the Xbox's biggest games, Ninja Gaiden. If you made that game in HD, it wouldn't need over 25 GB let alone 75 GB (1 50 GB & 1 25 GB disc). Ninja Gaiden was 6 GB.

7. Games   -   #17
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Again, I just don't think it'd be utilized. DVD-9 was around with PS2 and there were maybe 10 games that came out in that format. I just don't think it'll be games needing over 25 GB and if so, it'll be a handful.
    I believe (this is my total fanboi opinion in no way backed up by anything resembling facts ) that they simply couldn't utilise that amount of space without just filling it with FMV's with the technology present at that point.
    I heard a few months ago that game developers are now looking for a new kind of technology to compress textures, which will allow say your armour to fatigue in combat (ie show signs of wear and tear), cloth items to look "darker" when it's raining, et cetera. Until that technology is discovered, however, they would need to package 10+ full-size texture files to achieve the same effect. This could quite well fill up a 50 GB disk.

I've heard various complaints about the online feature in PS3, something about browser not being good and no background download available.
    Couldn't this be fixed through firmware/software updates?
    Also, are the rumours about FREE online service in the PS3 true?
    Either ways, I don't see myself as a big user of that feature (even if it is free), so personally it doesn't wager against the PS3.
    Sage goes in the signature field.

8. Games   -   #18
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    What do you think next-gen is? As long as the graphics, sound, and CPU is enough, then it's considered next-gen.
    No not really, it's not just graphics etc. I think you also have to take into account periferals, hardware the way it's built, plus the media it uses, for example the PS, Dreamcast both were Next gen with the jump to CD, the Xbox and PS2 moved to dvd.......now the Xbox 360 is STILL on dvd, it still has the removable HD etc, the PS3 uses Blue ray and multimedia card reader both have not been done before out of the box. Wireless controllers are nothing new. I've heard people say about the Red Steal controllers, realistically they are nothing more than Light guns which have been around for years.

lol now you're arguing with me that the PS3 is better?

The thing that puts the PS3 over the top is the Blu-Ray player though. Many people look at the price of the players now ($800 and up), see the PS3 for $600, and consider it a bargain on that alone.
    And look back to 2000 when the PS2 came out, how much was a DVD drive and media, especially dual layer.

I did say that.

Where?
    plus to bring it anywhere near the quality of the ps3 with reguards to drives etc it will add 50% of the purchase price to the 360 at present.

Actually thought I'd been more specific than that but it's basically what I meant.

I don't think it'll be utilized to the fullest. With PS2, games that utilized it's full potential didn't come out 'till in the end systems cycle. From what I read, the PS3 is even harder to program games for.
    Not true, Final Fantasy x was massive with supurb graphics and sound and came out very early on, GTA vice city was also pushing the PS2's media and hardware and came out what 2 years ago? and both on 1 disc.
    And besides, game developers have new technology to work with giving them more freedom to do what they have wanted to in years before.

Agreed. The only drawback to GOW is it's shortness. I beat it in 2 sittings and it was less than 10 hours.
    Yes and I think possibly because they conentrated too much on looks, a mistake Sage learned only too well with the Mega-CD.

Onto insane mode then?

The PS2 came out before the Xbox and was backward compatible so should have sold more.

The Xbox came after so it should have had better graphics. The stir for the PS3 is about the same around as the 360. I remember people camping out for the 360 as well.
    Not true in both points, the 360 is back compatable and I think PS3 sales will pass it quickly.
    As for camping out etc, I don't remember anyone being killed, stabbed, beaten, robbed at gunpoint for a 360, many examples of that with the PS3, as stupid and rediculas as it maybe it shows the impact it has had.

Thats the point, thats what developers are always striving to do.
    But I guess only time will tell.

What does that mean?
    Sony has much much better PR and commands a hell of a lot more respect from the public, I know many people who did and wont by an Xbox simply because it's microsoft. It was meant as a kind of joke in the same way you type M$.

Well because the games would cost a shitload. Unlike DVD, Blu-Ray is brand spanking new and costs a motherfucker. Cost in manufacturing won't go down for years.
    You mean like DVD's when they first came out?

Now let's take one of the Xbox's biggest games, Ninja Gaiden. If you made that game in HD, it wouldn't need over 25 GB let alone 75 GB (1 50 GB & 1 25 GB disc). Ninja Gaiden was 6 GB.
    And make the same game with Next-gen graphics, sound and gameplay and it'll be a hell of a lot bigger no? Tripple the graphics, tripple the size of game , you end up with 18gb.....you said yourself resistance is 17gb...how big is that game in terms of longevity?

@Neo...
    that they simply couldn't utilise that amount of space without just filling it with FMV's with the technology present at that point.
    Didn't they say the same thing about dual layer dvd?

I heard a few months ago that game developers are now looking for a new kind of technology to compress textures, which will allow say your armour to fatigue in combat (ie show signs of wear and tear), cloth items to look "darker" when it's raining, et cetera. Until that technology is discovered, however, they would need to package 10+ full-size texture files to achieve the same effect. This could quite well fill up a 50 GB disk.
    Yes I've read similar things.

As far as this "Can't fill media" and "Media is too expensive" arguments I think you should try looking back in time, when they could squeeze 16mb onto a cart, then how will they fill 700megs, then how will they fill 4.5 then 8.5gig, notice how it goes up 10-20 times the size each time? And they've never had any real problems doing it, it just usually takes a year or so to get to grips with the system capabilities.

Jonno

9. Games   -   #19
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    No not really, it's not just graphics etc. I think you also have to take into account periferals, hardware the way it's built, plus the media it uses, for example the PS, Dreamcast both were Next gen with the jump to CD, the Xbox and PS2 moved to dvd.......now the Xbox 360 is STILL on dvd, it still has the removable HD etc, the PS3 uses Blue ray and multimedia card reader both have not been done before out of the box. Wireless controllers are nothing new. I've heard people say about the Red Steal controllers, realistically they are nothing more than Light guns which have been around for years.

lol now you're arguing with me that the PS3 is better?

And look back to 2000 when the PS2 came out, how much was a DVD drive and media, especially dual layer.

I did say that.

Where?
    plus to bring it anywhere near the quality of the ps3 with reguards to drives etc it will add 50% of the purchase price to the 360 at present.

Actually thought I'd been more specific than that but it's basically what I meant.

Not true, Final Fantasy x was massive with supurb graphics and sound and came out very early on, GTA vice city was also pushing the PS2's media and hardware and came out what 2 years ago? and both on 1 disc.
    And besides, game developers have new technology to work with giving them more freedom to do what they have wanted to in years before.

Yes and I think possibly because they conentrated too much on looks, a mistake Sage learned only too well with the Mega-CD.

Onto insane mode then?

Not true in both points, the 360 is back compatable and I think PS3 sales will pass it quickly.
    As for camping out etc, I don't remember anyone being killed, stabbed, beaten, robbed at gunpoint for a 360, many examples of that with the PS3, as stupid and rediculas as it maybe it shows the impact it has had.

Thats the point, thats what developers are always striving to do.
    But I guess only time will tell.

What does that mean?
    Sony has much much better PR and commands a hell of a lot more respect from the public, I know many people who did and wont by an Xbox simply because it's microsoft. It was meant as a kind of joke in the same way you type M$.

You mean like DVD's when they first came out?

And make the same game with Next-gen graphics, sound and gameplay and it'll be a hell of a lot bigger no? Tripple the graphics, tripple the size of game , you end up with 18gb.....you said yourself resistance is 17gb...how big is that game in terms of longevity?

@Neo...
    that they simply couldn't utilise that amount of space without just filling it with FMV's with the technology present at that point.
    Didn't they say the same thing about dual layer dvd?

Yes I've read similar things.

As far as this "Can't fill media" and "Media is too expensive" arguments I think you should try looking back in time, when they could squeeze 16mb onto a cart, then how will they fill 700megs, then how will they fill 4.5 then 8.5gig, notice how it goes up 10-20 times the size each time? And they've never had any real problems doing it, it just usually takes a year or so to get to grips with the system capabilities.

Jonno
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Games   -   #20
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by People in this thread View Post
    "Next-Gen"
    I thought this was the 7th generation of the consoles which inlcudes PS3, Wii and Xbox 360. The term "Next-Gen" is an oxymoron, especially if you're applying it to a console like Xbox 360 which has been out for a year.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast