Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: My 2 Cents

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

One could argue that today's next-gen console has PC's last-gen graphics. I would say the gap is closing but unlike consoles, PC graphics cards are constantly upgrading. Consoles get a set GPU and it stays that way for at least a 5-year or so cycle.
    DX10 is going to be "next gen" in the "groundbreaking" definition (obviously not in the console generations definition...), but it's going to cost an arm and a leg for early adopters (the PS3 will seem like small change in comparison). You'll need at least a DX10 card and Vista, which ain't going to be cheap for a while. The next ATI card is going to break the £500 mark I reckon.

I'm probably going to forego my usual January upgrade until summer and splurge on a DX10 system then.

On topic: The 360 is running some form of DirectX 9, what are the other two next-gens using?
    Last edited by Cheese; 12-06-2006 at 11:11 PM.

2. Games   -   #62
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Ok, we've all made what I think are valid points for our arguments.
    I will accept that some sources say that these 3 consoles are 7th generation.
    Although the argument still stands that there are many many sources that say the wii is NOT next gen including Nintendo!

@The... you want links..Google is your friend..

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...a&ct=clnk&cd=5

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...next+gen&meta=

Gamespot is perfectly reputable and states clearly there what I said way back in this thread, that the wii is not Next Gen but will do well due to it's target audience of children's/family games fans.

So if we look at it by date then acording to some sources all 3 are 7th Generation, but.......if one or more of them is not a "Next-Gen" system by technology terms (which I actually think even in laymens minds is the meaning of "Next-Gen") then those that are not next gen will be 6th.

Also you stated that a generation is the consoles lifespan which is 5-6 years, but that doesn't wash either given that the Playstaion was released in 1994/95 and Sony announced in March 2006 they will not make anymore consoles or games for it, meaning it's lifespan was 10-11 years which basically throws the age/life/years span theory out the window.

I have also seen articles saying the Wii is the only Next Gen system but clearly going on technology it's not and no one can dispute that, fan or not.

One thing I will say for Nintendo as a gaming company, they have stood the test of time more than any other brand and for that have my respect even though I've never been a fan.

Here's another link from cnet reviews, this guy pretty much says exactly what I have been saying in this entire thread.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...a&ct=clnk&cd=3

The term "Next-Gen" is determined by technology, to be next gen it must have new next generation technology , and this a fact that is undisputable by anyone.

Jonno

3. Games   -   #63
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    And another note

I wouldn't automatically say don't get a Gamecube 1.5 Wii.

I look at it like the games Taboo or Outburst.

It's social gaming that can be the life of the party.

Like with the bowling on Wii Sports, 12 of us played (4 at a time) while others watched and we just had fun. The game wasn't great looking but it looked "good enough" to play and be merry with it.

We had similar fun with Tennis (you can play doubles) and Baseball.

4. Games   -   #64
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post

One could argue that today's next-gen console has PC's last-gen graphics. I would say the gap is closing but unlike consoles, PC graphics cards are constantly upgrading. Consoles get a set GPU and it stays that way for at least a 5-year or so cycle.
    DX10 is going to be "next gen" in the "groundbreaking" definition (obviously not in the console generations definition...), but it's going to cost an arm and a leg for early adopters (the PS3 will seem like small change in comparison). You'll need at least a DX10 card and Vista, which ain't going to be cheap for a while. The next ATI card is going to break the £500 mark I reckon.

I'm probably going to forego my usual January upgrade until summer and splurge on a DX10 system then.

On topic: The 360 is running some form of DirectX 9, what are the other two next-gens using?
    $500!!!

5. Games   -   #65
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    I can't and haven't argued that the Nintendo Wii won't hold it's own in the market or that it isn't a solid console. Nintendo's biggest strength has always been family oriented games/systems, and I think it will probably still hold that market, given the titles and the price of the system. Bravo for them, young kids need games which are suitable for them too, and as a parent, I applaud Nintendo for keeping up the steady stream of E rated games.

My reason for arguing that it doesn't fall into the same class as the other two 7th generation systems is based on the system's capabilities. My reason for buying the new systems (I say systems because I own a 360 and plan on purchasing a PS3 in the near future) is for two reasons. One, I'm not comfortable sitting at the computer for long stretches to play games, even if they are free, and two, because I still want the mind blowing graphics and sound experience that most newer PC games have. From everything I've seen so far, the Wii doesn't measure up in this capacity. It looks like a slightly upgraded GameCube for graphics, and although the GameCube was (and still is) a fantastic system, it's not near the quality of the other two. As far as "making shit up", I'm talking about articles on gamespot, in the Toronto Star (the newspaper I read online), the Toronto Sun (another newspaper I read online), Canoe's WHAM! Gaming (a Canadian online news service, which has rarely steered me wrong), Electric Playground (a television game review show) and a salesperson at EB Games. I'm not simply "making shit up".

I don't really like the 360 at this point, but that's mostly because I have always been a Playstation user and the Xbox and the 360 controllers are just too big and chunky for my hands to play them comfortably. It's a hard stretch for me to reach the LB and RB (keeping in mind that I'm 5'2" with tiny hands) and I frequently get killed in games where I need to use these buttons trying to stretch for them quickly enough. Well that and the fact that after two weeks it is already crashing constantly, and one of the games that came with the system, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter has not worked once.

I'm sure I will like the PS3 more, and it has little to do with hardware actually. It's simply personal preference. I've always loved the Playstation and PS2, I have hundreds of games for the two systems, and many of the titles I love are only available on the PS systems. The Resident Evil series (which has expanded to other systems now), the Onimusha series (which just became available for PC last year), the Ratchet and Clank series (actually make that pretty much any Insomniac games, I've loved all of them) among them. Given that most of these games were (I say most, because like I said, the REs have become available for other systems over the last few years) Sony exclusives, their next incarnations probably will be as well.

6. Games   -   #66
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

$500!!!
    Erm, that's nearer $1000 with a straight monetary conversion. Though I notice you chaps always get your electronic goods at a substantially lower price than us Brits.

7. Games   -   #67
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene View Post
    this a fact that is undisputable by anyone.
    Really? People are disputing this fact all across the interwebs in much the same way as we are.

8. Games   -   #68
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene View Post
    this a fact that is undisputable by anyone.
    Really? People are disputing this fact all across the interwebs in much the same way as we are.
    It really is like banging one's head against a wall, isn't it? Everyone has their favourite systems and will argue based on what they like best.

9. Games   -   #69
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD View Post

My reason for arguing that it doesn't fall into the same class as the other two 7th generation systems is based on the system's capabilities.
    This is what I have concluded from this debate. That the Wii is a 7th gen console but it is not in the same class as the other two 7th gen consoles.

10. Games   -   #70
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Is that the best you can do?

Well you said that you don't understand why anyone would question your point....but clearly I did and in a way you can't argue against given the fact you took the only comment that didn't have that much to do with the topic and argued that.

Good post Cheese, well presented point, I'm really impressed and don't know how on earth I will come back to that

Jonno

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast