Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Occult Discussions

[QUOTE=bravehart_70_2000,15 May 2003 - 22:47]

But in the end what the occult boils down to is this.....

Do you believe in a higher power than yourself?

<No, but I do hope there is one.>

Personally I do believe in the Lord God and in Christ. EVERYTHING in this universe as we can percieve it is to logical and orderly to be the product of chaos and natural selection.

<I have two points for you:

1. How did you decide on Christianity over the 1000s of other Religions? The big problem with Christianity is that you must accept Christ into your heart to be your savior or you go to hell. Most people who have ever existed, have never even heard of Christ, so they all went to hell?

2. To me, creating God to explain our existence simply differs the question. The question then becomes, who created God?

I&#39;ve heard the answer before, "he has always been and will always be, he is outside of time". Whatever. You either believe that or you don&#39;t, you can&#39;t discuss it any further. I call this "the black box".

So for me, by creating God, we explain a complex situation, by creating a more complex one.>

As we as a species mature we are finding more and more order in the universe not the chaos we were taught to believe in school( based on darwins theroy).

<Darwins theory has nothing to do with chaos in the universe.

To put it succinctly, the theory of evolution describes the rules which dictate the diversification of living matter. Usable energy comes in many forms and each living form tries to find its own way to utilize this energy( a niche).

Within a population natural selection occurs by the survival of the fittest.

Within a species, diversification occurs when common ancestors are separated geographically and are subject to different environmental conditions, selecting for different genes. The longer the separation and the more divergent the environments, the greater the alteration from the common parent organism.

I think you are referring to the 2nd law of thermodynamics which states that with every "event" chaos (random energy) increases.

To me, evolution kind of breaks down when it comes to first creation, and it almost takes as much faith to take this jump as does any religion. This is too complex to explain here.

In the end, I see both evolution and creation to be mutually exclusive and can therefore live together happily.

Evolution (adaptation to change in environment over time to create diversification) is etched in stone solid fact.>

I have plenty left to say, but this is enoughto chew on for now.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Originally posted by tianup@15 May 2003 - 07:28
    hobbes - I&#39;m talking about spontaneous regression where you suddenly lapse into a previous life (generally at a parallel point to what you are experiencing in the present, sometimes traumatic), or astral travelling (most people think they were dreaming, but know on some level that it was real), or spiritual experiences with ghost or other beings, or knowing things you couldn&#39;t possibly know, or unexplainable gifts, or psychic abilities...

To be blunt, I believe in none of these things.

I do believe that there are people who will testify to the sincerity of their experiences, but I think these people are seeing what they want to see.

Human minds have different "susceptibilities" to suggestion. Ever seen a hypnotist at a comedy club. As the selected victims head to the stage, he looks at each one, says a few words, and with this he sends the rejects (those who cannot be hypnotized) back into the audience.

I honestly would love to believe, the possibilty of life or existence after physical death would be the greatest thing ever. I live my life under this philosophy, "If my mother could see me now, would she be proud of how I am conducting myself?". So I think any reasonable God would give the thumbs up, or at least a second chance.

I an agnostic, I just don&#39;t know. All I do is post on forums and look for insight from others that will be an epiphany. I am an evolving work in progress.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 May 2003 - 18:49
    I am an evolving work in progress.
    Aren&#39;t we all?

As for your posts on Chaos, here is my take on it...

Morality, legality, normality, these are all interpretations of a society.
    We have laws and morals and an idea of what is "normal", to protect society from itself.

Chaos is what happens when you remove all the stops.

Chaos is not wrong on the grander scale.
    Its only wrong on a societal scale because it tends to weaken or even negate social order.

Chaos is every man for himself.

The truest form of survival of the fittest.

Social order attempts to protect the weaker members of the population against the natural order of things.

It is man&#39;s attempt to overcome his own nature.

Is one, more correct than the other? I don&#39;t know.

There are certain aspects of each that are appealing.
    The true freedom of chaos (if you aren&#39;t killed) versus the (sometimes false) security and protection of society.

Where do you draw the line?

To Tianup,

Thanks for the Neitzche link, thanks. Every since I heard the quote, "What doesn&#39;t destroy me makes me stronger", I&#39;ve wanted to read some of his writings but never got around to looking for them.

I&#39;ll have to check that link out this weekend.

Tomorrow, I&#39;m taking my son to see Matrix Reloaded.

Looking forward to it.

We watched the first one again tonight to gear up for it.

Peace

4. Lounge   -   #24
    I don&#39;t understand your post.

The chaos I am referring to is about ENERGY. Every chemical reaction is at best 40% efficient, so 60% is lost as heat or random thermal energy.

So, in the context of the post by Braveheart, I was explaining to him the difference between Darwin&#39;s theories and those of thermodynamics.

But in a societal sense, the collaring of chaos has lead to devolution in man.

Why?

Being the only organisms who have an awareness of our ultimate demise and our own mortality, we have generated laws and created law enforcement to protect the weak.

Why? Because we are all weak in some facet, we can all extrapolate to "what if that poor soul were me", so we all support this system.

From an evolutionary standpoint we are propagating the weak with the strong.

We are, through humanity, propaging all of the genetic frailities in the gene pool.

Eventually we will have a race totally dependent upon society to support them, meaning that, if society is disrupted, we will all have some fatal flaw which will make us unable to support ourselves (diabetes, myopia, heart dz, etc.).

An individual, dependent upon society for survival is de-evolved.

We can fix this, but only by fixing the genetic code, not to some ideal human, but rather to one who is self suffiecient once the amenities of society have been stripped away.

Anyway, I think I rambled afield. I just love this whole topic.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 May 2003 - 21:22
    I don&#39;t understand your post.

The chaos I am referring to is about ENERGY. Every chemical reaction is at best 40% efficient, so 60% is lost as heat or random thermal energy.

So, in the context of the post by Braveheart, I was explaining to him the difference between Darwin&#39;s theories and those of thermodynamics.
    Then I totally missunderstood you.

I am still a bit confused.

I think I understand what you are saying about lost energy during any action/reaction event, but I&#39;m not seeing the chaos connection.

Of course, if I understand universal laws sufficiently, nothing is lost anyway.
    The energy is still there, somewhere. Its just converted to a different form.
    Light/heat/matter/any forms of energy that may not yet be recognized.

And yes, I enjoy this type of discussion too.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    1. How did you decide on Christianity over the 1000s of other Religions? The big problem with Christianity is that you must accept Christ into your heart to be your savior or you go to hell. Most people who have ever existed, have never even heard of Christ, so they all went to hell?
    In my opinion..........and I dont mean to upset anyone here.

The big problem with Christianity is the Bible.

There is an Old Testament and a New Testament.

Reading them both, I cant see how they are both the same God.

The Old Testament, he&#39;s a bit of a Bastard (no offence intended, this is my opinion) that sends Death and Deistruction down on people for the slightest thing.

Thats not the same God, IMO as the New Testament Guy, who is all Love and Forgiveness.

In fact you could spend your whole life Killing people and as long as you repent during the last few seconds of your life you are saved. Alternatively, you could spend your whole life doing good works; and if the last thing is "Jesus Christ&#33;" as the car hits you, your damned.

Hmm. What are the words of the Lords prayer again? "Thy WILL be done".........I think they&#39;re trying to tell us something there.......

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Maybe God decided that he could make more friends with sugar rather than vinegar.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    But isnt he Omni-everything?

That implies he makes mistakes.......

This is now due in the lounge, where we can debate it with our beers

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Very first line in this topic : Occult spelled with a capital means in my book Dark
    in the satanistic way &#33;
    In the same line you address &#39;uninitiated&#39;.
    Wow, that rings some bells with me&#33;

(Only sideways mention of bible and Tibetan book of the dead so indeed to lounge)

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Well, i nearly got &#39;em to mention the Book of Shadows, but they never took the hint

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast