Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Occult Discussions

Intermezzo:

Animism : probably the first form of religion;people contribute supernatural powers to
    all objects around them mostly trees,mountains,rivers etc.
    It's also known that these people practiced cannibalism : therefor the link.

What is half of Infinity?

What is 1/10th of Infinity?

What is 1/1000th of Infinity?

What is one, one millionth of 1% of Infinity?

The answer of course, in each of those questions, is 'Infinity'.
    This is a paradox similar to the one of Zeno :about Achilles and the turtle.

2. Lounge   -   #62
    Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@17 May 2003 - 14:39

This is a paradox similar to the one of Zeno :about Achilles and the turtle.
    Achilles and the turtle?

Not fair dude.

You have to tell us the story now.

3. Lounge   -   #63
    Originally posted by hobbes+17 May 2003 - 14:01--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 17 May 2003 - 14:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ne1GotZardoz@17 May 2003 - 19:18

Have you ever experienced anything you couldn&#39;t explain? I&#39;m talking about what some would define as supernatural experience?
    Too be honest, I never have. But I must admit to being a horror movie and book fan. I love a good old fashioned haunted house story.

[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t mean ghosts, anything like that.

I&#39;m talking about anything that you know it happened, but you&#39;re not sure how or why.

Most people who develop an interest in the Occult do so because of some experience they had.

Something they couldn&#39;t explain but that left them feeling there was some mystery to be solved.
    A level of reality that they had gained a momentary glimpse of.

The first book I ever read on the subject of the Occult, was by Colin Wilson and it was aptly titled, &#39;The Occult&#39;.

Reading it gave me the feeling that he was a realist, but his experiences were definately beyond accepted reality.

If you ever get a chance, Its worth reading.

I read it in 1975 or 76. Shortly after my age 14 experiences.

4. Lounge   -   #64
    I will just say this:

I have the heart of a pagan, the soul of a poet, and the mind of a warrior&#33;

None of you can truly deny the existence of a creative force in the universe.
    As you look around you, take in the wonders of nature, and its magnificent construct&#33;
    I have spoken&#33;

5. Lounge   -   #65
    Well, there are true psychics, people do have those experiences.

I&#39;m not sure if there is anyone with a level of control over their psychic experiences or not, (I had no control over mine), but I know that there are things that happen that go beyond the explainations of science.

I&#39;ve seen several books on the subject of controlling psychic ability.

I am not convinced that its an ability. I think of it more as a phenomenon.
    A window to another reality that we occasionally get a glimpse of.
    That the phenomenon most often occur at times of impending doom or, suggests that there may be a controlling mechanism at work to make sure that there is a phenomenon to accompany a major happening.

Of course, it could also be that the phenomenon is only really noticed when there was a memorable event to accompany it.

Edgar Cassey <sp> wrote several books on the subject. I could never get into them though. Any more than I could get into Maddam Blavatski&#39;s Theosophy thing.

Nothing against anyone who is a member of that order, but my information on Blavatski from several books, including Colin Wilson&#39;s &#39;The Occult&#39;, suggests that she had several true experiences but got caught in what I like to call, "James Baker Syndrome".
    An ?Indian? mystic she went to study under turned her away, because her focus was on the phenomenon, and not on the attainment of oneness. He said basically, that as you travel the path, the phenomenon will occur, (almost like a side-effect), but if you focus on the phenomenon, you will lose your way. Blavatski&#39;s whole focus was very much on the phenomenon and he could not teach her.
    Her account of the incident was a bit different. She said he taught her. And that she was in constant psychic communication with him.

You remember Jim Baker? A very deeply religious man. Strong beliefs. Caught up in the fame and fortune and Tammy Fae&#39;s Eyelashes.
    The ultimate fall from grace.

Whatever happened to him? Is he still in jail?

6. Lounge   -   #66
    Achilles was challenged to a race with a turtle that got a little headstart.
    Now Zeno points out that each time when Achilles reaches the point where the
    turtle is , the turtle has moved on so that he never can overtake him.

7. Lounge   -   #67
    Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@18 May 2003 - 10:41
    Achilles was challenged to a race with a turtle that got a little headstart.
    Now Zeno points out that each time when Achilles reaches the point where the
    turtle is , the turtle has moved on so that he never can overtake him.
    Maybe instead of running to the point the turtle was at, he should have run to the finish line.

Was this race before or after Achilles had his tendon cut?

8. Lounge   -   #68
    Achilles was shot in the ankle by Paris while praying, then he died.

I think it was before this event.

Can you imagine how stupid his mother must have felt?

So you dip your child in the river of immortality, the only thing not protected is the ankle, because that is what you are using to hold the child. Why not just put your hand under water and make him totally immortal? Some people are so stupid, even if they are Gods&#33;
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. Lounge   -   #69
    Originally posted by hobbes@18 May 2003 - 17:29
    Achilles was shot in the ankle by Paris while praying, then he died.

I think it was before this event.

Can you imagine how stupid his mother must have felt?

So you dip your child in the river of immortality, the only thing not protected is the ankle, because that is what you are using to hold the child. Why not just put your hand under water and make him totally immortal? Some people are so stupid, even if they are Gods&#33;
    I vaguely remember the story from my school years.

I&#39;m wondering if there is some reason why she could not get her hands in the river.

Still, all she needed to do was throw the kid in.

I mean, its not like he would have drowned since it turned him immortal.

And if only his feet were not immortal, why did the rest of him die?

I forget...Was it a poison arrow?

10. Lounge   -   #70
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    His mother wasn&#39;t a god but a Nereid. But there are two versions: the dipping in the Styx version (which is the later version of the story), and the earlier one, in which Thetis covered him in ambrosia and then put him on a fire to burn away the mortal parts. Would&#39;ve worked, except his father came back in and caught her. This enraged Thetis, so she abandoned Achilles and his father Peleus.

Edit: No, it wasn&#39;t a poison arrow. He died because it was his only weak point.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast