Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What Does Christmas Mean To You

bunny67's Avatar THE ORIGINAL BUNNY! BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    when i started this thread it wasnt dne to spark a debate about religion just wanted to know what christmas meant to different people

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    Every year, our family comes together and has a big party w/ all the commercial stuff, you know presents and all that. But we also recognize the spiritual part of it by going to Church and giving thanks for the blessings we have. My aunt recently started helping the poor by cooking food and handing it out for the service "Meals on Wheels". I mean I'm just grateful for everything I have because if you truly don't know what you have until you lose it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    petra1210's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    i got this message from my friend today -> ive got a few sweeties lying up my attic. ive been on a heavy bender. thats what christmas is all about. as long as u made the most of it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    it's not called Christmas in most of the world either.
    So Christmas isn't called Christmas in most of the World.

That seems a bit strange.
    Why? The Japanese celebrate 'Xmas', Xmas trees, gifts, family get togethers, the whole thing, but they don't call it Christmas, why should they? For a start they don't speak English, and they're not Christians.

And if you want to get into semantics about the name of the thread I suggest you ask yourself why it was posted. If the meaning of the title was the 'christ' bit, why was it necessary to ask what it meant to people? If it was a general question, acknowledging that it means all things to all people, then it's quite obvious that it would have different names in different parts of the world, as well as different meanings.

Here's a few for you to chew on ..

Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic.

Perhaps we should ask a modularator to change the title of the thread to ..

What Does Christmas, Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic, Mean To You?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny67 View Post
    when i started this thread it wasnt dne to spark a debate about religion just wanted to know what christmas meant to different people
    Don't feel badly; this is the Drawing Room.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

So Christmas isn't called Christmas in most of the World.

Why? The Japanese celebrate 'Xmas', Xmas trees, gifts, family get togethers, the whole thing, but they don't call it Christmas, why should they? For a start they don't speak English, and they're not Christians.

And if you want to get into semantics about the name of the thread I suggest you ask yourself why it was posted. If the meaning of the title was the 'christ' bit, why was it necessary to ask what it meant to people? If it was a general question, acknowledging that it means all things to all people, then it's quite obvious that it would have different names in different parts of the world, as well as different meanings.

Here's a few for you to chew on ..

Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic.

Perhaps we should ask a modularator to change the title of the thread to ..

What Does Christmas, Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic, Mean To You?
    All you said there is that loads of people have festivals or celebrations at the same time of the year. That doesn't mean that they are celebrating Christmas. They may be celebrating at Christmastime, but that's not the same thing.

That doesn't invalidate the question. For example using you as an example. Christmas as a religious festival means nothing to you. However it is the time of year you like to spend with friends and family, perhaps exchanging cards and gifts. In a way you are borowing it back, if you call it Christmas.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Christmas to me means a mass marketing/money orgy.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    So Christmas isn't called Christmas in most of the World..

Perhaps you'd like to re-visit your answer ..

In a way you are borowing it back, if you call it Christmas.
    Are you saying a word can have only one meaning?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    Christmas to me basically means time spent with family and loved ones. It's the one time of the year I get to see my family.

Raised Methodist but more Agnostic than anything.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast