Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Love and Religion

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    I feel this thread appeals to me

I feel saddened by the fact that JPaul won't approve of my marriage to Gem, just because he's protestant (and thus,a Hun) and I am Catholic ( and thus, support Celtic).

Shame on you.

Just to let you know, we shall still have our life and the children the Lord blesses us with and it shall only be more joyous without you around.
    Is that really what you wish for?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    You mean the Christian version? "He\she doesn't believe in God but admits they could be wrong."
    I thought most people used that version, irrespective of who had coined it. Or something similar. Do non-Christians have another meaning.
    JP, it's the rider that's the contentious issue here, "but admits they could be wrong".

An agnostic would not admit they could be wrong as it's a dead issue, the very definition of agnostic states that they see the proof or otherwise of the existence of god as unknowable, so they don't make the claim that they don't believe, only in as much as they don't disbelieve either. So to say they could be wrong would be to say they had come to a conclusion one way or the other.

As to other meanings, there are, of course, many interpretations.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    I feel this thread appeals to me

I feel saddened by the fact that JPaul won't approve of my marriage to Gem, just because he's protestant (and thus,a Hun) and I am Catholic ( and thus, support Celtic).

Shame on you.

Just to let you know, we shall still have our life and the children the Lord blesses us with and it shall only be more joyous without you around.
    Is that really what you wish for?
    I sense a misapprehension here, football allegiances aside.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    @ Ava (lol)

I kind of think that's what I said.

"It was always my understanding that an Agnositic was not convinced that God existed and felt that it required to be proven. However they remained open to the possibility."

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    ... and it shall only be more joyous without you around.
    That's a bit harsh.

Let me make a few other points, if that's OK.

Protestant, what does that mean, other than "not Catholic". It's a generic term and tells one nowt about the actual beliefs of the individual.

"Hun = Protestant", no I think not.

I will neither approve or disapprove of said marriage, I don't even know the chap. However if he makes you happy then I am sure the good Lord will smile upon you union.

I wish for nothing other than you and the chap you find yourself to be in love with having a long and happy life. I wish the same for any children your union may be blessed with.

Albeit that they may be wee huns.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Just to let you know, we shall...have our life and the children the Lord blesses us with and it shall only be more joyous...
    We are glowing with pride for you and the path you've chosen, Sonja.

Don't ever think otherwise.

I don't believe we'd have guessed you'd be contemplating marriage and family, going back a few years...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    You mean the Christian version? "He\she doesn't believe in God but admits they could be wrong."
    I thought most people used that version, irrespective of who had coined it. Or something similar. Do non-Christians have another meaning.
    I have always taken Agnostic to mean that by definition the infinite and ineffable is an unknown that cannot be pinned down by definition. There may be no connection with our existence or that connection may be on many levels.

Organised religion (of whatever hue) seeks to declare that the infinite is revealed and that by following a set of quite finite dogma the infinite is connected to us. The Agnostic would argue that this is something of a leap of faith rather than a proveable fact - not being wholly convinced the Agnostic cannot therefore make that leap.

To the committed believer, the Agnostic is just being difficult and to the Atheist the Agnostic is hedging his bets. However, I think the Agnostic standpoint can be considerably more sophisticated than either of those positions would suggest.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Thus says the Wiccan Agnostic

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Thus says the Wiccan Agnostic

When I said sophisticated I meant downright Machiavellian.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    You, Sir are a Prince.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast