Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: computer on or off

Poster BT Rep: +5
    Computers are meant to be left on 24/7, there is no need to shut it down. They don't shut down traffic lights do they? Or the power grid, all of these things are run by computers, so no it will not affect anything by leaving it on.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    glad i read this topic now cos i have been trying to decide for weeks if i should leave mine on or turn it off

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    I think the answer to this question depends on how 'clean' the electricity is in your house. In Israel much of the electricity is dirty and subject to nasty spikes at random times day and night. I have a spike controller but even that has had on occasion allowed my hard disk to be fried like an omelet! I suggest ask if whatb you are downloading is worth the cost of in case, G-d forbid! Also, realise as much as you are online, the more you allow a hacker to enter and run amuck on your system. You could defend and say you have nothing worth taking but not every hacker takes. Some are just mischevious and like to pretend they are the evil gremlins are made from! Do you agree?

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Recoba's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i keep it on too like a lot of people here

but i want to ask a question ?

can i leave the laptop also or should the labtop be closed ?!

and if it to be closed what is the max hours to keep it on ?!

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I have a laptop that I leave on 24/7 unless I'm not seeding, which is very rare. I could care less what happens to it though. If it dies a year or two earlier than average then I buy a new one.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    dimagic's Avatar aNdReAdImAsTeR BT Rep: +4
    I have both my computer and the laptop open day,night........
    No problem at all 1 year after.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    24/7 here too been more or less on for the last three years... if any of you 24/7ers fancy running a file sharing server...feel free to pm me

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    parking_jedi's Avatar noone of consequence
    If there are no pressing downloads to get the old 'puter has the night off but usually shes humming away 24/7

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    DoN BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Mines on 24/7 uploading via uTorrent. No problem at all. =))

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Pretty much the same as everyone else here, it's on most of the time with the monitor switched off. However the laptop is only on when I use it, I think laptops have much more of a tendency to overheat as they tend to have a much less efficient cooling system than a modern tower system. I don't use the laptop for downloading anyway so that's not a factor.

I find that I get more shared during the night and that helps my ratio a lot. Probably to do with which part of the World is awake at that time. As I'm in the UK America is up and about during our night, so there are a lot of sharers online.

That might all be bollocks but it's what I do.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast