Thread: A tornado in London?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It's official...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6219280.stm

Anybody see/experience it?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I saw the report on the news. I think that England should prepare for more Tornadoes. A few years ago they removed all the hedges round the fields in Norfolk and Linconshire. Hedges are not only a windbreak but they break down small Tornadoes preventing them becoming devastating ones. Then again it is all done for more profit, to hell with the consequences.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    simply go into any Underdround station and you will experience a tornado.
    high pressure vs low pressure zones.
    (with added smell)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Its just down the road from me but i cant be arsed to walk 20 mins to go see what damage really happened. its just a freak thing no one was killed thank god.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    The UK gets about 30-40 mini-tornadoes a year. Very rarely do they happen in urban areas, so they usually go unnoticed.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    It may come as a surprise, but the tornado frequency (which takes area into account) for the whole of the UK is about the same as the USA, and for England on its own it is actually higher.

However, our worst tornadoes don't match anything approaching the worst in Tornado Alley.

It is unusual for them to form in a developed area because of their low power compared to the heat output of the surroundings, so most of them pass almost unnoticed.

Edit: Merged threads, makes this post look a little silly after what was posted earlier.
    Last edited by lynx; 12-08-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I saw the report on the news. I think that England should prepare for more Tornadoes. A few years ago they removed all the hedges round the fields in Norfolk and Linconshire. Hedges are not only a windbreak but they break down small Tornadoes preventing them becoming devastating ones. Then again it is all done for more profit, to hell with the consequences.
    Conspiracies ftw

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Wow, that's freaky! I never thought tornadoes actually happened in London. In fact I thought I misread the post at first. Just shows you how weird mother nature can be I guess.