Thread: Xbox 360 Gamers Sue Microsoft Over Buggy Live Update

frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    A topic started a month ago on the Xbox forums has since accumulated 66 pages of angry complaints, apparently caused by the recent Xbox Live Fall update, released on October 31. Apart from introducing some 85 new features and enhancements (including HD 1080p video mode support over VGA and component cables, and Xbox 360 Wireless Headset support), the Fall update also seems to cause a *lot* of Xbox 360 consoles to crash and freeze every few minutes, and get that infamous "red ring" of lights on the console's front panel.

Simply calling Microsoft's help-desk doesn't fix the problem, but only aggravates it: so far refusing to admit that the Fall update is killing some of their consoles, Microsoft actually expects gamers to pay for the repairs, even though they did nothing wrong. Well, except for applying the buggy update.

So widespread is the problem, that a lot of gamers have already filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and their State Department of Consumer Affairs. And at least one of them (going by the forum name of RedRum6622) filed a "class action" lawsuit against Microsoft with a US lawyer firm:

"I was just contacted by the lawfirms about it. We put together the case and I signed the papers to be the Plaintiff suing Microsoft on behalf of the class(YOU GUYS), and BAMM they did the rest. They were already aware of these forums as well as others complaints."
    The complaint accuses Microsoft of breach of contract, violation of Consumer Protection Act (RCW 19.86) and negligence, and calls for a jury trial. This should be fun!

----------------------------------------------------
    So someone finally did it.

Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_8530_Xb...ve_Update.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Fun indeed! Can't believe they released a buggy patch. Testing? Seriously...
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I haven't had a problem...thank goodness.....but....I don't remember applying a patch.

I'm not paying $100 for a wireless headset either.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    $100 for the wireless headset? That's borderline financial rape. My controller isn't more than a foot from my head at any given time while playing so I think I'll stick with the wired headset.

The update hasn't given me any troubles, knock on wood.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare View Post
    $100 for the wireless headset? That's borderline financial rape. My controller isn't more than a foot from my head at any given time while playing so I think I'll stick with the wired headset.

The update hasn't given me any troubles, knock on wood.
    My bad, it's $55. Still I ain't paying that.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Poster
    Yea i haven't had any problems with the update either, in fact I love many of the new features the auto arcade games download is cool

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +1
    wow