Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Security of Private Trackers.

It's near impossible to know which way the **AA's maybe lurking in this game of catch of mouse multiplied by millions. Because of that very fact I have begun to use Usenet for a sense of security. I still frequent private trackers for obscure torrents that nobody would really give a care for, (Who would go crazy over a decade old manga scan) but I was just wondering if anybody has any experience in whether private trackers give even a feigned sense of security so I could feel slightly less fearful if I want to download a quick movie with 5-10 seeders and 3-4 leechers.

Cheers!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Amun_The_Unsee's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    i would say it gives a little security to people in the tracker, but im sure a government as complex and powerful as ours (or the worlds for that matter) it could infiltrate a forum. if not....im sure they could trade invites to get in ^.^

or just pressure the admins. lol

but as far as that goes, isnt your IP still visible to everyone in the swarm??

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Music Fascist BT Rep: +1
    Well the harder to get in, smaller and more secretive the tracker the better obviously. If you d/l from newsgroups mainly then you could take reasssurance from the fact that youll have a much lower total upload than many other users.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Your IP is visible to anyone in the swarm when connected to a torrent or any p2p network for that matter. Even when dl from newsgroups the ng servers can still see your ip. Personally while private sites may not be 100% safe they are still safer for the most part due to the fact anyone can connect to a public site. Where the private sites are a little harder to get in. Consider it to looking for the new Elmo at Walmart or Kmart. Walmart has 1 coming in next week and Kmart has 100. Comparing those odds which store would you rather go to, to pickup your toys? lol

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I am not a n00b BT Rep: +4
    Makes you wonder how many are even on this site and able to enter the invite section.
    Wouldn't take long to get in most of the private sites would it.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaz View Post
    Makes you wonder how many are even on this site and able to enter the invite section.
    Wouldn't take long to get in most of the private sites would it.
    course not but if i was looking for a tracker to take offline id choose the biggest one i could find to reduce piracy by the largest amount. Why choose ScT with its 15000 members when you could force torrentspy's xxx,xxx users offline?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    filephile's Avatar um wat do I put here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratzy Rox View Post

course not but if i was looking for a tracker to take offline id choose the biggest one i could find to reduce piracy by the largest amount. Why choose ScT with its 15000 members when you could force torrentspy's xxx,xxx users offline?
    torrentspy isn't a tracker though, just an indexing service.
    that has got to be different.
    I still get your point though
    Your Signature:
    [Goes here]

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    kavalchuk17's Avatar Something RETIRED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    And take into account that to get to the top sites, you have to upload alot. that would be breaking copyright rules and contributing to copyright infringement. idk if the US government would do that. I wouldnt doubt it, but wouldnt that be ironic?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    n00b
    nothing is secure

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    It is understandable to equate more people in a tracker to a higher possibility of detection within that tracker (Since from I hear the best strategy by the **AA's is to just take a snapshot of whoever's in a swarm, or on the whole torrent.) However, I just wonder how efficient are the corporations that police the p2p culture. Though I've never been excessively worried about getting caught. Millions of people download content illegally at any given time and they can only call attention to a few thousand a year.

Cat and a sea of mice I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast