Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backing Up The Mp3 Collection

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@16 May 2003 - 04:36
    I use Put up your jukes, which has a nice feature, so when you burn it, you can tell it a disc number/name, so if you ever need to find it, its easy. this also comes in useful for those "didn't i already dl that?" moments, as you can see not only whats on HDD, but whats on CD too
    Can do that with OrangeCD also.Put the number of the CDr that album is on in the reference #.

I have not talked to the guy from PUYJ in awhile.Use to talk to him all the time...so don't know what is up with that program nowadays.

2. Music   -   #12
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    FC I got a question about something you mentioned in this topic: If you have a 52x burner why burn at a slower speed? Better quality? I just bought a 52x burner and I'm just curious

3. Music   -   #13
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@16 May 2003 - 13:32
    FC I got a question about something you mentioned in this topic: If you have a 52x burner why burn at a slower speed? Better quality? I just bought a 52x burner and I'm just curious
    Just better change of not getting a Buffer Underrun.I mean what is a extra Minute when it comes down to it?

4. Music   -   #14
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Thks FC

5. Music   -   #15
    I USE MMJB(MUSIC MATCH JUKE BOX) I CAN LOAD MY LIBRARY AND USE SMART SPLITTING TO PUT ALL TRACKS ON CD'S .

6. Music   -   #16
    Mivaro's Avatar _________
    @ dingobaby,

On www.chrismyden.com i found an possible answer for your question.
    MP3 Collection: A Simple Time Saving Utility For MP3 Collectors
    Posted on Wednesday, September 11 @ 09:43:29 PDT by cmyden

Maybe you're like me. Maybe you keep each of your MP3 albums in a separate folder, and like to keep each album in tact when you burn them to CD-R.

Then when it comes time to archive a whole bunch you sit there and manually re-arrange your folders, having to constantly check to see if you've reached the 650MB mark (or 700MB if you're using 80 minute CDs).

You may be someone who would find Fold2CD handy. It is a command-line utility written in about 10 seconds by my friend coma that will save you a lot of time.

Click here for a brief description on what it does

Readme.txt

Fold2CD 0.10
    Author: coma
    E-mail: [email protected]

Preface

Please note that this was an extremely quick hack put together in a few minutes. It obviously can't do anything dangerous, since it just generates a text file, but I can offer no guarantee of future bug-fixes or support.

Assumptions

This program assumes that you have each of your albums in a separate folder. It will treat each subdirectory it finds as an album.

How It Works

Fold2CD scans each subdirectory (each album) and notes the size.

It will create a list in alphabetical order that attempts to fill a 650MB CD (default) to maximum capacity.

If the next album on the list can not fit on the CD, it will jump to the next album that can, until no more albums can fit.

And then it's on to the next CD.... In the end you will have a list telling you which albums should go on each CD.

Usage

1. Place Fold2CD in either your path (such as C:Windows) or in the root directory of all your MP3 folders.

2. Go to your command prompt (Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> MS-DOS Prompt) for most Windows users.

3. Change to the directory that has all your MP3 folders.

4. TYPE: Fold2CD > list.txt (or whatever you want to call the file that it outputs)

5. That's it!

Options

For 80 minute CDs (700MB) - TYPE: Fold2CD --size 700MB > list.txt
    the quote is frome here...
    'English impaired'

7. Music   -   #17
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+16 May 2003 - 17:11--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 16 May 2003 - 17:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--vivitron 15@16 May 2003 - 04:36
    I use Put up your jukes, which has a nice feature, so when you burn it, you can tell it a disc number/name, so if you ever need to find it, its easy. this also comes in useful for those "didn&#39;t i already dl that?" moments, as you can see not only whats on HDD, but whats on CD too
    Can do that with OrangeCD also.Put the number of the CDr that album is on in the reference #.

I have not talked to the guy from PUYJ in awhile.Use to talk to him all the time...so don&#39;t know what is up with that program nowadays. [/b][/quote]
    yeah, this is the same. you tell it the volume name and a CD number, and it does the rest.

why don&#39;t you start a thread about orange, FC? I would like to know what feeatures it has over such as PUYJ, cos atm, PUYJ is enough for me, though I might be persuaded to change...

have a word with Paul or someone, see if they are cool with it. After all, you are not gaining financially, (i assume )

<insert signature here>

8. Music   -   #18
    @Mivaro. Thanks for the info. I will have a look at that program.

9. Music   -   #19
    Cram as many as you can onto one disk,
    Burn at a low speed (10x, 16x),
    Put them in a vault.
    Pull them out in 20 years and realize your no longer like that kind of music

@vivitron 15: your sig makes me hungry&#33;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12