Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The Global warming blow-hards...

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    look, we all know he is a pain in the but... but...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    How do you interpret what Lynx has said as supporting your point of view?
    This post...

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    As far as I can see, the case for global warming is still far from proven.
    And I don't buy the "yes, but what if it's right, think of the children" scaremongering either.

Even if you accept the need for action, so called "green taxes" are a con. In order to be effective they would have to be at levels which would be detremintal to the economy. They aren't, and never will be, so the argument in favour of them is pure bullshit. They are just poor excuses for yet more excessive taxation.

Similarly the arguments for a "carbon market" are rubbish - if someone saves more than they need to then selling the excess "saving" does no-one any good. It is just another excuse for shifting money from one place to another, really nothing to do with global warming. Want to bet that there will be a tax on those purchasing the excess savings?

However, I feel that those who are against doing anything at all are also talking out of their hats. If anyone can produce convincing reasons why any individual, company or country would not want to reduce it's fuel consumption I'd be glad to hear it.

I can understand why people (motor manufacturers for example) don't want to invest in fuel saving advances if their competitors don't do the same. In the short term it can only result in higher prices if the costs are passed on to the consumer, or lower profits of not. Failure to react when your competitors are making investments is crazy though. A short term boost in profits will be followed by long term recession or even death of industries who have failed to keep up.
    ...is pretty much a spot-on reflection of my opinion as to the entire matter of global warming.

That you've not noticed this is to your detriment.

BTW-I've been meaning to compliment you on your behavior since your return here; you're almost tolerable.

Good show.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    HMP, the master of saying nothing ... do you actually have any opinions, or is this it for you?
    Are you capable of discussion without automatically going on the defensive with those who have different opinions? Or would that be a blow to your over inflated ego?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot View Post
    HMP, the master of saying nothing ... do you actually have any opinions, or is this it for you?
    Are you capable of discussion without automatically going on the defensive with those who have different opinions? Or would that be a blow to your over inflated ego?
    As I said, do you have any opinions or are you only concerned with me?

I find your obsession disturbing, you should seek help.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I know this has been covered before but I have never received an answer. There is talk of the sea levels rising anything from 1" to a few feet. Where is this water going to come from. Discount the north pole. It is the equivalent of an ice cube therefore if it melts the level of the sea does not rise. Given that the land mass of the world is only 30% of the total area you would require 30 inches of snow on every inch of land to melt just to raise the sea level 1".

Considering we dont have anything near 30 inches of snow, or the equivalent, covering the land mass of the world, where is all the water going to come from? Is there something they are not telling us?
    Last edited by bigboab; 12-15-2006 at 03:54 PM. Reason: mistake in calculations
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.greenfacts.org/en/arctic-climate-change/l-2/3-sea-level-rise.htm
    3.4 How can climate change cause sea level rise?

3.4.1 There are 3 100 000 km3 of ice on Arctic lands around the world, containing enough water to raise the global sea level by 8m. Most Arctic glaciers and ice caps have been in decline since the early 1960s, with this trend speeding up in the 1990s. In some areas, the increase in precipitation has outpaced the melting so that a small number of glaciers, especially in Scandinavia, have gained mass during some recent years.

The Greenland Ice Sheet is the largest area of ice on Arctic lands. Part of the top layer of ice of this ice sheet is melting during summer and the area where this is happening increased by about 16% between 1979 and 2002, (which represents) an area roughly the size of Sweden.

Projections from global climate models suggest that the contribution of Arctic glaciers to global sea-level rise will accelerate over the next 100 years. By 2100, the melt of these glaciers will have contributed to a rise of roughly four to six centimeters or even more according to recent estimates. In the longer term, the Arctic contribution to global sea-level rise is projected to be much greater. Some climate models project that local warming over the Greenland Ice Sheet will eventually lead to its complete disappearance, with a resulting sea-level rise of about seven meters. More...

3.4.2 Climate change causes sea level to rise in two ways:

* First, and most significantly, water expands as it warms, and this is projected to be the largest component of sea-level rise over the next 100 years.
    * Secondly, warming increases melting of glaciers and ice sheets, adding to the amount of water flowing into the oceans.

Global average sea level rose almost 3mm (0.12 inches) per year during the 1990s. This is about one millimeter (0.04 inches) more per year than during the decades before that. Global average sea level is projected to rise 10 to 90cm (4 to 36 inches) between 2000 and 2100, with the rise speeding up with time. Over the longer term, much larger increases in sea level are projected.

Sea-level rise is projected to have serious implications for coastal communities and industries, islands, river deltas and harbors. A number of the world’s most populous cities such at Calcutta and Bangkok will be severely affected.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..and it might just slip into the Atlantic ocean causing the second largest tsunami ever recorded

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Considering we dont have anything near 30 inches of snow, or the equivalent, covering the land mass of the world, where is all the water going to come from? Is there something they are not telling us?

The main ice covered landmass is Antarctica at the South Pole, with about 90 percent of the world's ice (and 70 percent of its fresh water). Antarctica is covered with ice an average of 2,133 meters (7,000 feet) thick. If all of the Antarctic ice melted, sea levels around the world would rise about 61 meters (200 feet).

Source

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The understanding of this global warming issue is probably beyond most of the world population. It takes an in-depth analysis to see what we're doing to our planet. Look at it throughly and make your own decision.

I personally think that the solution is to implement some sort of population control. If we don't do it then our planet will force it upon us.

My hopes aren't high about this. People just don't seem to want to agree about anything.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    The understanding of this global warming issue is probably beyond most of the world population. It takes an in-depth analysis to see what we're doing to our planet. Look at it throughly and make your own decision.

I personally think that the solution is to implement some sort of population control. If we don't do it then our planet will force it upon us.

My hopes aren't high about this. People just don't seem to want to agree about anything.
    Yes I agree. I have had two different answers to my question. Both cannot be correct, both could be wrong though. I think I will get the spreadsheet working.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast