Thread: Ripping RAM to MP3

kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Can anybody point me towards a simple freeware that is capable of ripping a .ram audio stream into an mp3 file??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    I don't think there is any way to actually rip or convert real audio files. However, you can "record" them.

It is really two steps. First, download and run Audacity. Second,
    choose View -> Float Mixer Toolbar. In the drop-down menu on Audacity's mixer toolbar, choose "Wave Out" or "Stereo Mix" as the input source.

What that last step does is tell Audacity to record not from a microphone, but actually from the stereo/wave sound (which is everything you hear coming out of your speakers). Then all you need to do is press the Red Record button in Audacity and it will start recording anything that is on your speakers. At this point, just play the RAM file you want to record and let it finish playing, then go back to Audacity and press Stop.

Using Audacity's editing features, you could then crop the audio so there isn't a gap in the beginning and end (when you wait for the RAM file to buffer and switch between programs).

To get it into MP3 once in Audacity, you can use the File->Save As menu (or Export) and then pick MP3 as the format. Note that you will have to also download Lame_enc.dll along with Audacity, but I think their site makes it pretty simple to get both.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

(again, make sure you also get the LAME mp3 encoder)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    Also, a quick Google search yielded the following program, in case you think the Audacity stuff is too complex.

http://www.magicvideo.net/#