Thread: Help with par file repairing.

UCA007's Avatar |U C A|
    I've used usenet a fair bit so I know my way around, but recently I've run into a problem. I've been downloading a shitton of stuff from alt.binaries.e-book.technical (which is my favorite group ever btw), and what happens is that people will post a clump of generally unrelated files, and then post PARs for them. That's all well and good, but my problem is this:

Say there's a group of files, call them A, B, C, D, E. Now, I want file C, but none of the others. I download file C and it has bad parts. I get the PAR set, but since the PARs cover all 5 files, I can't just repair file C unless I also have files A, B, D and E. Is there any program that will let me do this? QuickPAR doesn't

I think it's a problem with the mathematics - I know how PARs work and I see how missing the other 4 files would make recovery impossible (even if I had enough replacement blocks to repair the damaged parts of C.) I'm posting in the hopes that one of you other newsgroup-savvy people had a way around this. (I'd like to avoid having to download the other files so as to not waste bandwidth on things that I'm just going to delete anyway.)

***EDIT Solved my own problem. Thanks.
    Last edited by UCA007; 10-30-2008 at 06:26 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, try management...
    ----
    "Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Now that you've solved the problem could you share the solution? Thanks.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    UCA007's Avatar |U C A|
    Yes, there is no app that can repair the file w/out downloading the whole set of files. So, I HAVE to download the complete files with the par files to do a recovery.
    If at first you don't succeed, try management...
    ----
    "Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" -- Benjamin Franklin

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by UCA007 View Post
    Yes, there is no app that can repair the file w/out downloading the whole set of files. So, I HAVE to download the complete files with the par files to do a recovery.
    So there is no solution, just as i thought. Maybe its time some genuis come up with par3

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Member BT Rep: +1
    par allows u to recover a defined % of the original files, which i think people use <15% in general on usenet. so if ur missing ABDE, u would need enough pars to recover 80%, plus the missing pieces of C