Thread: Connect analog 5.1 speakers to SPDIF

crossfade's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Hi

I recently bought a 5.1 speaker system and I want to connect it to my notebook. Notebooks generally don't have HD output so you can't connect a 5.1 speakers system to it (which has 3 cables, middle, left and right).
    My notebook does have SPDIF though.
    So is there any way to connect the analoge 5.1 speakers (with the three cables, green, orange and black) to the SPDIF of my notebook, perhaps with an audio splitter?
    I've googled for an answer but I did't find anything so I hope someone here can help me.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    In a word, no.

S/PDIF output is an encoded stream, you would need some sort of decoder to get any output to your speakers.

Such devices are widely available, more commonly known as amplifiers with S/PDIF input.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    crossfade's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Ok, thanks for your reply!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i actually have the same question. i have the slim ps2 with spdif output, and i just got 5.1 surround.

i bought a creative audigy 2 nx usb soundcard with spdif input and output. could i use that with my ps2 and 5.1? or maybe it's the creative extigy that can do this. i read somewhere only 1 of the 2 can do that