Thread: Intel Celeron Overclocking

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    ok. i have an Intel Celeron-S 1.1ghz. . current clock is 1097mhz. its max clock is 1400mhz. im wantin to overclock it but everywhere i go it just tells you the dos and donts of overclocking. i already know all that shit i dont wanna hear it. i have a HP mainboard. HP Vectra XE310S2, Windows XP Professional sp2, 512MB RAM. motherboard chipset is Intel Solano i815E.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    do you have a stock computer?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    i bought this computer about 4 years ago from a rent to own place or w/e. i upgraded the memory, the drive from cd rw to combo drive , and i updated the video card.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    HP prebuilt? HP mobo? Prolly stock cooling?

Bad idea, even if your poor Celeron doesn't burn up you won't get very far with an HP mobo and stock cooling.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by popwar View Post
    ok. i have an Intel Celeron-S 1.1ghz. . current clock is 1097mhz. its max clock is 1400mhz. im wantin to overclock it but everywhere i go it just tells you the dos and donts of overclocking. i already know all that shit i dont wanna hear it. i have a HP mainboard. HP Vectra XE310S2, Windows XP Professional sp2, 512MB RAM. motherboard chipset is Intel Solano i815E.
    Also what are you asking?

You did not pose a question, merely stated the fact that you want to overcloak it.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    its max clock is 1400mhz.
    Just exactly where did you get that piece of information?

If it is about the capabilities of the motherboard, or about the fastest celeron of that class, then I agree with everything said above. Prebuilt computers are made to a fairly tight budget so they don't waste money on the cooling required for overclocked chips.

On the other hand if that information is specifically about the chip you've got, then the chip is currently underclocked and should go to it's full speed without any problems. I can't see why anyone would deliberately underclocked though, so that's unlikely.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    yea. i want to overclock it a little. its max clock is 1400mhz like i said. bad idea? maybe. but hp said it is not recommended to upgrade to xp pro from home edition but i did anyway. i would buy one but not many processors are socket 370. its like stone age or sumtn. alot now are 754 and 939 and stuff.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    its like stone age or sumtn. alot now are 754 and 939 and stuff.
    Both the s754 and the s939 platforms could be considered "stone age" as well, although the 939 is still quite capable and attractively priced.

As for your overclocking endeavours...
    It's likely that your greatest impediment will the BIOS.
    I doubt that it will offer much in the way of memory/voltage tweaking- both areas critical to a successful bump.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Underclocking used to be reasonably common, back in the day.

It just depended what there was a call for. For some reason the P90 was more popular than the P120, probably cost. So rather than make more manufacturers used 120s in P90 boxes and set the motherboard to run it at 90.

If you got one of these then you could get a 33% increase without actually overclocking it. Since the basic spec was the same for the machines then the cooling was adequate for the increased speed.