Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fyi, getting 30 days retention on roadrunner...

myktek
    idunno what's going on, but i updated one of my groups today and i'm like, wth....y are there so many headers, so i check and it's getting about 31 days worth of headers, i'm lik, this couldn't be....so i downloaded something from 31 days ago...and yup, its working, the retention usually is only 2 days max....but idunno, it's up to 31 days today...so imma use it til it goes back! ....houston area roadrunner...idunno if it is like this anywhere else....

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    I just got switched from Adelphia HSI to RoadRunner about a week back and didn't notice anything. I guess things changed when Time Warner Cable bought out Adelphia. I'm going to have a look at this.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    What happened is that TWC outsourced newsgroups.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    myktek
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    What happened is that TWC outsourced newsgroups.
    how did u find this out?

freaking sucks since that TWC is leaving the houston area next month and comcast comes in... *sigh*

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    im kinda new and i have roadrunner...
    so what exactly does all this mean?...

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Yeah could someone please enlighten:-)

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    myktek
    pretty much means u don't have to pay for a seperate newsgroup account anymore... just setup your roadrunner newsgroups in your prefered program and you'll be good... the retention = how many days they keep the posts, use to be about 2 days, since they have gone w/ a 3rd party to carry there newsgroups, the retention is up to like 45 days now... oldest file i've download is about 42 days.... so i'm assuming it's 45days retention...

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Reported to be very slow at times.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    HeLLo BT Rep: +2
    I only get like 3 days retention using my ISP server

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    Ok I finally had time to test my new ISP's usenet/newsgroup service. With Adelphia it was great because they contracted Giganews to handle their usenet service, but now it's a different story..., no more Giganews!

Before: 90 day retention

After: 80+ days. Downloaded a 89 day old file 100mb and complete. This might change a lot as I've been getting a lot of conflicting answers.

Before: 10 connections max

After: 4 connections max. I can't max out my 10Mbps connection anymore.

Before: Download amount, 5GB

After: Not sure yet, I'm going to go ahead and just download random stuff today and see how far I get before the server won't let me anymore. edit: It seems to be unlimted as I've been downloading non-stop the past 24 hours and 80gb+ so far lol.

Before: I was pretty much able to download from any newsgroup I came across.

After: It's pretty good and seems to have the popular newgroups everyone downloads from. If you email RoundRunner to add a newsgroup they'll be more than happy to add it, but they do have the right to remove it if they see it being used too much.

Over all I'm happy and the only real complaint I have is I can no longer max out my connection but I'm letting that slide since I will only use this for backup purposes.

edit: Just wanted to add logging in is the same. Use you're email address username and password and connect to the following server: news-server.socal.rr.com
    Last edited by Athlon64; 01-01-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast