Thread: New DVD Burner not recognising NTSC DVD

Old Fella
    Firstly, if this is in wrong place I apologise.

Have just installed new LiteOn 16x DVD Dual Drive burner. I can burn CD and DVD. I am in New Zealand where standard format is PAL however I am trying to backup some imported PS2 games which are in US/NTSC format, however drive does not recognise the DVD (either Nero or Alcohol 120%). It does, however, recognise CD ROM in NTSC format.

Can anyone please offer any advice on why this is not picking up DVD in NTSC format.

Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    DVD drives have region codes.

Check its properties in the Device Manager (DVD Region tab).

You can change it there but you be warned that you have a limited number of changes possible (5).

If you feel that you need to do more changes then look into hacked firmware for your burner.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    it's weird that it won't recognize NTSC b/c my drive recognizes both. I thought that newer ones supported both. Guess not.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Old Fella
    Tried setting region and seems to recognise DVD now as comes up with title when using Alcohol 120% BUT now gives me an error message - Logical Unit Communication Error CRC Error.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Try cleaning the disc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Old Fella
    ) So all my discs are dirty? I have tried a handful and all the same thing. Have just checked a PS2 PAL version and same thing, so does anyone know why my DVD burner can not copy these? Note that the drive does actually read them as I can open the disc through explorer

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    One method of copy protection is to encode a deliberate CRC error onto the disk. That's possibly what you are seeing here.

This part of the disk probably isn't normally read when you open it in explorer, so you only encounter the error when you try to perform a disk copy.

The second part of the copy protection is that the game expects this error to be present, if it isn't then the game won't play.

There are ways round this, but that's not really a hardware discussion.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Old Fella
    Ah, ok. Can you sugest where I may be best to go to find out more about this?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Old Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    One method of copy protection is to encode a deliberate CRC error onto the disk. That's possibly what you are seeing here.

This part of the disk probably isn't normally read when you open it in explorer, so you only encounter the error when you try to perform a disk copy.

The second part of the copy protection is that the game expects this error to be present, if it isn't then the game won't play.

There are ways round this, but that's not really a hardware discussion.
    Not sure that is the reason as I can read these okay off my laptop's drive.