Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Registry cleaner?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Don't have one, never used one.

I've read prior discussions here, and am aware there is (as with all other programs) a wide variety of effectiveness and also a bit of danger for those, like myself, who are less than registry-literate.

I am not extraordinarily adventuresome prowling the interweb; I don't take too many risks.

I am interested, nonetheless, and wonder if there is a free program worth a download, and what people think, generally, about using it/them?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Every time you install or uninstall a program you leave debris in the registry ,over time it gets corrupted and can slow your system down . Try Ccleaner its very safe and you can backup the changes .

Other good freebies are Regcleaner and RegSupreme .
    Last edited by peat moss; 12-24-2006 at 03:52 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Yup, ccleaner wins.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Every time you install or uninstall a program you leave debris in the registry ,over time it gets corrupted and can slow your system down . Try Ccleaner its very safe and you can backup the changes .

Other good freebies are Regcleaner and RegSupreme .
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    Yup, ccleaner wins.
    Doh.

I've been using Ccleaner for a couple of years now; didn't realize that it fully fit the description of "reg cleaner".

Well, then.

Question answered, fellers.

Thanks.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ccleaner calls them Issues ? It is a good free one ,I use a couple of programs tho as I might try 3 or 4 programs a week so need a more powerful cleaner .

RegSurpreme Pro and Tuneup Utility 2007 finds the ones Ccleaner misses .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Ccleaner calls them Issues ? It is a good free one ,I use a couple of programs tho as I might try 3 or 4 programs a week so need a more powerful cleaner .

RegSurpreme Pro and Tuneup Utility 2007 finds the ones Ccleaner misses .
    Redundancy has it's appeal.

I'll check them out.

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    When I first started building and operating PC's I used to format and reinstall every 4-5 months because my system slowed down and no amount of defraging helped. Once I started using wipers instead of the recycle bin and a registry cleaner after uninstalls (or any changes to my start folder or desktop) and running a better defrag like Perfect Disk, I have been able to go years not months with out reinstalling windows. I'm on three years now on three computers, no make that two (one had a hard drive fail and I had to reinstall from an image) without a reinstall.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    When I first started building and operating PC's I used to format and reinstall every 4-5 months because my system slowed down and no amount of defraging helped. Once I started using wipers instead of the recycle bin and a registry cleaner after uninstalls (or any changes to my start folder or desktop) and running a better defrag like Perfect Disk, I have been able to go years not months with out reinstalling windows. I'm on three years now on three computers, no make that two (one had a hard drive fail and I had to reinstall from an image) without a reinstall.

Its like that " Free software " but turns out to be a shareware program that you tired and liked but the free time period expired , so what does one do ?

A good Reg cleaner will find the armadillo software that limits the time trial so one can reinstall with out setting the clock . Many ways to skin a cat eh ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    For me its CCleaner + Tuneup utilities 07 = Fuck yes.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    For me its CCleaner + Tuneup utilities 07 = Fuck yes.

Best of both worlds then ! My set up too . To be honest they both miss a lot of shit ! I can run RegSurpreme it may find a different error .

I don't know what it means tho as I said I try so many programs , but when I uninstall them I want them gone !
    Last edited by peat moss; 12-24-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast