Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Books You Remember From School

Poster
    What books do you remember reading at school, the ones where you had to write essays on?

The three that come to mind for me are:

To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
    Role of Thunder, Hear My Cry - Nyesha Basey and Inez Ramsey
    Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

I wouldn't mind reading them again, they bring back a lot of memories

2. Lounge   -   #2
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    We had really crap books...or so I thought! Might just have been because I was forced to read them...

Let's see...there was Stone Cold, Bad Girls and a book about a catholic boy in belfast who falls in love with a protestant girl...

We read Roll of thunder and I wasn't amused when we found out the oldest brother's name was STACY!!! Not allowed cos that's my name! A girl's name!

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by WeeMouse@17 May 2003 - 14:54
    We read Roll of thunder and I wasn't amused when we found out the oldest brother's name was STACY!!! Not allowed cos that's my name! A girl's name!
    I thought it was a girl at first, until alittle later in the story. Is there any guys in this world named Stacy?

Romeo and Juliet (Old English) I never liked reading it over and over just to understand what they were saying. Then writing essays on it, the pain. I like the story more now though.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    The Last Unicorn-Iris Murdoch
    Le tour du monde en 80 jours-Jules Verne
    7 petits croix dans un carnet-George Simenon
    Die Verwandlung-Franz Kafka
    Hersenschimmen- Bernlef
    Kartonnen Dozen-Tom Lanoye

Didn't like Hersenschimmen that much...was about Alzheimer and pretty boring to be honest.

The Last Unicorn was too diffcult at the time, but I read it again later on, and I kinda liked it then.

Le tour du monde en 80 jours is a classic ofcourse. I was about 13 when I read it, and I liked it back then.

7 petits croix dans un carnet was absolutely horrible!!! I just don't like Simenon's work

Kartonnen Dozen is a typical Belgian novel...it's cool for 16-years old who try to discover who they are. It's a bit childish if you're older though. I read it again a year ago and it was a huge disappointment.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    I remember reading Romeo and Juliet last year - Me + Lamsey wre forced to be Romeo and Juliet...and jay-2-Good was my nurse! it's something else to hear one of your guy mates reading out a big speech on how he breast-fed you!

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    My Family and Other Animals <shudders>

Just about every Shakespear Play <screams>

The Albatross <cries with agony>

Why wont they let you read good books at school, and force crap at you instead.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@18 May 2003 - 00:09
    My Family and Other Animals&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <shudders>

Just about every Shakespear Play&nbsp; &nbsp; <screams>

The Albatross&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <cries with agony>

Why wont they let you read good books at school, and force crap at you instead.
    In highschool there was one book a year we had to read, for Dutch class, because we had to discuss it in class, but for the rest they gave us this huge list of 300 books and let us choose. There were always a few books that were worth reading....

Actually, I miss highschool a little

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Me too

I used to nick books from the library By the time I left, I had about 30 or so stashed away&#33;

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hmmm...let me think:

Most of the Shakespeare plays
    Atlas Shrugged
    The Fountainhead
    The Jungle
    A Seperate Peace
    and To Kill a Mockinbird (in 3 different grades&#33; )

Those were just the ones that stood out.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Our English teacher never made us read any Shakespeare plays, we just had to watch the films....

When I was 16 I bought the complete works though and read it all...it took me months and months to get through it

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast